Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to format my HD.

worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    What if I just give a right clik on my HD, the clik format?
    yes, what would happen if I just format it like that?, or it there something else that I need to do?
    Last edited by worldpease; 01-29-2005 at 04:43 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You couldnt if it was the partion that had Windows on it, if its a different hdd or a different partion i spose it would work but Windows partioner is shyte.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    You can't format your hard drive that way. If you have the windows xp cd just restart your computer, put the xp cd in, and start the xp setup. There will bew a option there to format your drive then install windows on the formated drive.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The thing is that I have two Win Xp Pro instaled, this because the first one failed so I made the secons instal just to get acces to all my files and make a backup. But now that I have done this, I would like to get rid of 'everithing' and then, just make the install again, from scratch.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Triadcool
    You can't format your hard drive that way. If you have the windows xp cd just restart your computer, put the xp cd in, and start the xp setup. There will bew a option there to format your drive then install windows on the formated drive.
    You can if it's not the boot drive.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If you want to rid everything you just pop the Windows Cd in restart the pc it will detect the two Windows installs and ask a bullshit question, after that you will get to the hdd management screen where you can see all your hdd space. Highligh each one, one at a time and choose Delete, you will then be left with all your space as unpartioned. Choose to create a partion and format to NTFS (Quick) Quick because ful has sometimes crashed on me before and quick is good enough. Then let windows work its magic.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    If you want to rid everything you just pop the Windows Cd in restart the pc it will detect the two Windows installs and ask a bullshit question, after that you will get to the hdd management screen where you can see all your hdd space. Highligh each one, one at a time and choose Delete, you will then be left with all your space as unpartioned. Choose to create a partion and format to NTFS (Quick) Quick because ful has sometimes crashed on me before and quick is good enough. Then let windows work its magic.
    just to know for the futre, whats the difference between the quick option and the normal, coz i dont select quick when i format so...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Normal takes alot longer and i spose deletes the files better, quicker means its proberly much easier to recover any files if you needed to.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Normal format checks the disk space and marks any bad sectors.

Quick format merely writes the partion format information; the disk space is marked as unchecked and is checked before first use, so bad sectors are picked up later.

The check before use following a quick format slows down disk access when an area of the disk is written to for the first time, but since this is only done in "real time" when a very large file is created it is not usually noticable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Guys, thatns to all of you,
    it seems you have told me all I need, so I'll try it next, and be back later or tomorrow to tell you how it went...
    Last edited by worldpease; 01-29-2005 at 03:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast