Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "E-Sportsmen/women" -Cyber Athlete Professional

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    That what is, and what isn't an athletic sport is hard to define, and that if you accept one thing as a sport, then you might as well accept another.
    No it's easy to define what athletic sport is.

Mere sport can be anything from seeing who can watch TV the longest to who can pluck a paper football through a goal post at the lunch table.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Great, then you define it,

Is bowling an athletic sport? curling?

Where exactly do you draw the line?

3. Sports Club   -   #23
    Great, then you define it,

Is bowling an athletic sport? curling?

Where exactly do you draw the line?
    Bowling...sure.

WTF is curling?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Sports Club   -   #24
    curling more curling

How come bowling is an athletic sport, when videogaming isn't? As I've tried to illustrate, you do use your body in both sports.

Does an athletic sport entail using your body in a certain manner, and if so what does slalom, fencing and bowling (if you accept them all as athletic) have in common that non-athletic sports like videogaming at a professional level doesn't have?
    Last edited by Snee; 01-31-2005 at 06:27 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #25
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    [n] an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
    [n] the occupation of athletes who compete for pay
    [n] verbal wit (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously); "he became a figure of fun"
    [n] (biology) an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration
    [n] someone who engages in sports
    [adj] (Maine colloquial) temporary summer resident in inland Maine
    [v] play boisterously; "The children frolicked in the garden"; "the gamboling lambs in the meadows"; "The toddlers romped in the palyroom"
    [v] wear or display in an ostentatious or proud manner; "she was sporting a new hat"

Lets not forget the Oz version:
    [n] a generic term for a male friend, similar to mate, mainly used in rural areas.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Sports Club   -   #26
    @busy and manker: Then there is archery, which is considered by many to be an athletic sport. To be a successful archer you need to remain as static as possible with most of your body. Ideally only your arms should be moving as you aim and let loose the arrow.

If you happen to be playing a videogame with some kind of joystick/rudder combo, or maybe with a steering wheel with pedals, you are bound to be using not only your arms, but also your feet.

That has to make it more athletic than archery, hasn't it?

I once played a game similar to Manx TT in which you sat on a "motorcycle" and used your entire body to steer and manouver the bike around the track on the screen. What do you call a game like that? It can't be a motorsport, as there is no actual motorcycle present.

Last, although I hate to do this, I'm going to have to spring "dance dance revolution" on you. DDR is a game in which two players can compete in emulating dance moves on the screen or somesuch, the player who can keep up best with the instructions on the screen will win, and to be successful in this game you'll need to have muscles and stamina as you control it with your entire body. Example.

These examples fall under the definition video/computergames. And for someone to be world computergame champion or somesuch he'd have to be successful at all manners of games, wouldn't he? And to master it all, he'd definitely be an athlete.

As for it not being watchable, chebus, I don't think anyone told the million or so people in korea who watched the last c-strike-, or starcraft-, or whatever it was, championship live.

That is all.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-31-2005 at 07:47 PM.

7. Sports Club   -   #27
    @busy and manker: Then there is archery, which is considered by many to be an athletic sport. To be a successful archer you need to remain as static as possible with most of your body. Ideally only your arms should be moving as you aim and let loose the arrow.

If you happen to be playing a videogame with some kind of joystick/rudder combo, or maybe with a steering wheel with pedals, you are bound to be using not only your arms, but also your feet.

That has to make it more athletic than archery, hasn't it?

I once played a game similar to Manx TT in which you sat on a "motorcycle" and used your entire body to steer and manouver the bike around the track on the screen. What do you call a game like that? It can't be a motorsport, as there is no actual motorcycle present.

Last, although I hate to do this, I'm going to have to spring "dance dance revolution" on you. DDR is a game in which two players can compete in emulating dance moves on the screen or somesuch, the player who can keep up best with the instructions on the screen will win, and to be successful in this game you'll need to have muscles and stamina as you control it with your entire body. Example.

These examples fall under the definition video/computergames. And for someone to be world computergame champion or somesuch he'd have to be successful at all manners of games, wouldn't he? And to master it all, he'd definitely be an athlete.

As for it not being watchable, chebus, I don't think anyone told the million or so people in korea who watched the last c-strike-, or starcraft-, or whatever it was, championship live.

That is all.
    You are fishing with the other shit but.....DDR is athletic, verrrrry athletic tbh.

Best example.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Sports Club   -   #28
    Hmm, so videogamers can be athletes then.

Fancy that.

9. Sports Club   -   #29
    Hmm, so videogamers can be athletes then.

Fancy that.
    Depending on the mechanics of the game.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-01-2005 at 06:59 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Sports Club   -   #30
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Sorry to not getting involved myself (it's too much fun alone just watching this ) but this snippet got me thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I'm not saying it is an athletic sport, as much as I'm asking how you can say that any sport is athletic.

It's about conditioning. A gamer can be a 7 stone weakling or a 35 stone couch potato. An athletic sportsman has had to condition his/her whole body to be able to perform even completently. In actual fact javelin throwers and shotputters aren't that uneven, or at least they shouldn't be because their weaker arm is vital for balance, momentum and exertion.
    Just like it doesn't matter to an track & field athlete whether they have a degree in whatever or whether they're plain stupid?
    Last edited by Illuminati; 02-01-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast