Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Keep Track Of Your Films?

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I'm starting to build up quite a collection of movies now, and I don't have too much hard drive space so I have many on CDs. I'm also getting to the position where I'm downloading a film only to find I'd already got it and put it on CD.

My question is for those who have a big movie collection - how do you keep track of all your films? Do you design a database and add new films as you download them? Or is there a program that will give you a bit more info about the films such as running length, actors etc. I used to use a program called DVD Profiler to keep track of my DVDs but it's a bit pointless keeping all the extras info, sound format etc when I just have a downloaded copy.

Any ideas?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Skillian@2 April 2003 - 06:47
    I'm starting to build up quite a collection of movies now, and I don't have too much hard drive space so I have many on CDs. I'm also getting to the position where I'm downloading a film only to find I'd already got it and put it on CD.

My question is for those who have a big movie collection - how do you keep track of all your films? Do you design a database and add new films as you download them? Or is there a program that will give you a bit more info about the films such as running length, actors etc. I used to use a program called DVD Profiler to keep track of my DVDs but it's a bit pointless keeping all the extras info, sound format etc when I just have a downloaded copy.

Any ideas?
    Currently I am using an Excel Spreadsheet, works rather well. I keep track of movie ratings, titles, release year, file size, number of discs, type of copy and finally Quality. With Excel I was also able to add movie synopsis info to the title field, where when you place your cursor over the cell the synopsis info pops up, rather cool.

I will be graduating to a movie program soon (CLICK THIS LINK), I already have it, just have not had the time to input the data.

Hope this helps.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    I still keep all my movies (with the additional info) in a .TXT file.
    I just add them as they come along, they are not even sorted alphabetically.

I guess I'm too lazy to convert it to an excel sheet.

But I also downloaded the program ShareDaddy mentioned and here is the Sig2Dat if anyone is interested:

edit: i forgot we are not allowed to post hashes outside the verified sections. If anyone wants the Sig2Dat, PM me, but I think it has already been posted, perhaps even by me, I can't remember.

I still have to find the time to look into it though.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Thanks guys.

ShareDaddy I was hoping you'd answer .Read around on that program and it's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Toyed with the idea of a spreadsheet or database but didn't fancy all that work, so I can't imagine how much it took you!

Tilen I used to put it all in notepad too but alphabetical is becoming pretty much a necessity now

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    I have a friend that wrote a PHP/MySQL database that you can view from the good ol' internet. If anyone is interested I could see if he will post what code he has (if he still has it)...

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by shad0w@2 April 2003 - 17:00
    I have a friend that wrote a PHP/MySQL database that you can view from the good ol' internet. If anyone is interested I could see if he will post what code he has (if he still has it)...
    i did the same thing... It's a page where you type in the movie title and the name of the person that downloaded the movie and it gets added to the list and sorted right away... even keep count of how many movies there is...

(I'm only having a freakn annoying problem with refresh posting the movie twice but heh... working on it...)

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Skillian@2 April 2003 - 10:04
    Thanks guys.

ShareDaddy I was hoping you'd answer .Read around on that program and it's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Toyed with the idea of a spreadsheet or database but didn't fancy all that work, so I can't imagine how much it took you!

Tilen I used to put it all in notepad too but alphabetical is becoming pretty much a necessity now
    Yeah, A lot of work, but well worth it until I was turned on to this program by BALD_GUY here on the forum. I just have not had the time lately, I haven't even updated my Excel list in 2 months so I am thinking of doing just my real DVD movies first on the new program, then migrating my avi's as time permits.

Alphabetical is totally a requirement when you surpass 1000 movies, for sure.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    okay...so u guys are pretty good at keeping track of what movies u have...now...where do u keep the cds...wallets, towers jewel cases or spindles? and do u index them or what....i have cds all over the place!

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Poster
    70 + movies here, possibly 80+

Ive said them so many times to ppl so I keep most of em inside my head, lol

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Originally posted by Wallace_Askew@5 April 2003 - 03:32
    okay...so u guys are pretty good at keeping track of what movies u have...now...where do u keep the cds...wallets, towers jewel cases or spindles? and do u index them or what....i have cds all over the place!
    I've just started filling up my second 96 CD wallet. No sort of indexing system though. Music CDs are kept either on the computer or in jewel cases on shelves with all my other CDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast