Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uk internet to get 20X fast within the near future...

CABLE operator NTL is to offer a broadband service 20 times faster than anything available in the UK today.

Keith Monserrat, NTL's director of policy, said the company's fibre-based network is capable of delivering internet speeds many times faster than BT's older copper-wire network.

"Fibre can carry up to one gigabit," he said. "It will be relatively straightforward for NTL to provide speeds of at least 100 megabytes per second across its entire network. By contrast, BT's planned 21st Century network will not be able to deliver speeds above 10 megabytes."

Although NTL will not reveal the timing of the launch of its 100-megabyte service, Monserrat said NTL customers could expect to be offered the service "in the not too distant future".

NTL hopes to establish a market lead over other UK telecoms operators. Other UKinternet service providers (ISPs) dispute the need for broadband services much faster than eight megabytes. But according to NTL, ISPs are rolling out 28 megabyte services in France and 20 megabytes services in The Netherlands.

According to Monserrat, the move to bandwidth-hungry services based around video on demand requires faster speeds.

The convergence of home entertainment and computing in internet TV is seen by NTLas inevitable and will involve the streaming of movies and other services on to devices that will resemble TVs but have the storage capacity of powerful PCs.

Speeds are enough to provide basic video on demand now, but as well as watching downloaded videos, consumers may want to buy or hire several movies at a time and use interactive video services.

Last September, NTL had 1.1m broadband customers, offered speeds of one to three megabytes, and BT had 960,000.
    Source

I love my ISP

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ntl doesnt have a great coverage thought, the only place in scotland you can get ntl is glasgow as far as i know.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    It covers alot of England though, and as the report says it has 0.2 million more broadband users than BT.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    No cable here and never will be

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    There's NTL digital services available in the center of Dundee

Looks like I already know who I'll be connecting with next year Only problem is we don't know the price

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    or the caps

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    There's NTL digital services available in the center of Dundee

Looks like I already know who I'll be connecting with next year Only problem is we don't know the price

NTl would keep prices down so that they do not lose existing customers, expect a fast 10mbit to be like £40 or so.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Cool, thats who I was going to sign up to when I move

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Cool, thats who I was going to sign up to when I move

Im already with them, no need for me to phone them up and fight with the customer service to get me signed up

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Im already with them, no need for me to phone them up and fight with the customer service to get me signed up

Fight to let you sign up??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast