Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some serious help on this Pc!!!!!!!!

Ok guys my friend told me his computer was not working so I gave a look at it and everything loads fine it gets to the boot screen but when it gets to the blue Xp look loading screen it freezes and some weird orange lines just go all over the top of screen any suggestions guys. All I know about the specs of this computer is Dell, windows xp and thats it. My friend told me he thinks he had a virus but im not sure. I need all the ideas you guys can get asap.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    try booting into safe mode...
    just after your BIOS screen, but before the Widnows XP logho screen, press F8 then choose safemode on the list of options.

once there try right click my comp>manage>device manager>find the displya adaptor>right click>uninstall

i think it's a problem with the video drivers...

but you can run a virus scan in safemode too, just in case.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well I did that and it didn't do anything I also scanned it and it had no known viruses I was wandering if it could be a hardware issue could dust be an issue? It does have some dust in it well anyways being able to go into safe mode is like 1 out of 20 chance and im in it riht n ow and I don't want to restart the computer untill i'm 100% sure it will work. Also I have noticed that sometimes it will take me to the blue screen of death and come up with some errors like 0x0000021 somethng like that if you want to see the error ask i'll post it. I asked my friend if he had a recovery disk for the computer but he doesnt have one so is there some website where I can download a recovery or some command in dos or run that I can to to make it reformat the whole computer without a cd? also is there a good online scanner/cleaner that is pretty good so I can try that?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ffs learn to use periods, commas, and the enter button.

post the bluescreen error.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try rebooting and press F8 for the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Try: 'Enable VGA Mode'.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Boot-up in safe mode, run a full virus scan with up-to-date definitions.

Run awaware and spybot. (again, with up-to-date definitions)

If that fails, try using WinXp restore.

If you don't have the Dell recovery disc or a copy WinXP then formating is completely out of the question. (how can you format without an O/S to install?)

It may be necessary(and simpler) to contact Dell directly.

good luck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    It may be necessary(and simpler) to contact Dell directly.
    Thanks for that; now I've got to clean the vodka/coke from my monitor.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    !

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    What a horrible mix...any good drunk knows dark colored liquors mix well with dark colored beverages and visa versa.

Anyways, I find it odd that you, and it seems others, find it funny that I should suggest contacting the mfg. In my experience with manufacturers(10+ yrs), they can be surprisingly helpful. Especially if you speak intelligently and ask the right questions/provide accurate information.

Sadly though, the average person(read:some of you on this forum) isn't even capable of that.

my .02¢

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    What a horrible mix...any good drunk knows dark colored liquors mix well with dark colored beverages and visa versa.

Anyways, I find it odd that you, and it seems others, find it funny that I should suggest contacting the mfg. In my experience with manufacturers(10+ yrs), they can be surprisingly helpful. Especially if you speak intelligently and ask the right questions/provide accurate information.

Sadly though, the average person(read:some of you on this forum) isn't even capable of that.

my .02¢
    umm you know all of dells "support" is farmed out to India, they barely can speak engrish, I rather not call tech support unless its the last resort...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast