Thread: DVD Drive Vanishing

My dvd rom drive keeps disappearing from 'my computer' and even the device manager, it comes back on when I reboot but is a pain, has anybody got any idea where it's going to?

Its not one I have installed myself it came already fitted so there arn't any compatibility problems.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    go into your bios (press delete or f1, maybe some otehr key at startup) and find where it detects the drives connected and make sure all of teh drives are detected there properly.

Try right clicking my computer>manage>click device manager on the left>right click the drive causing problems and click uninstall. When you restart it will be reinstalled.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Try right clicking my computer>manage>click device manager on the left>right click the drive causing problems and click uninstall. When you restart it will be reinstalled.
    Also, click on "view" and check "Show hidden devices". See if the drives are now shown (although disabled). If they now appear you should delete them, but it is usually an indication that for some reason your system thinks the properties of the drive have changed, although this is usually only after a firmware update.

Also, check the Event log, see if there are any IDE errors.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    This happened to me ages ago
    Do you have more than 1 HDD &\or more than 1 dvd\cd rom?
    Try changing the cables around on your CD\DVD Roms...
    Try and have whatever your CD Writer is as a "Master" for better burning or
    maybe you should try disconnecting the cable and replugging it in