Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for gaming laptops.

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    OK, I plan on buying a new computer. I decided to buy a laptop instead of a desktop. But is that really a good idea? I want to play games on it mostly, and I know a desktop would be better, but I just love the idea of having a smaller computer with no cables, and I can watch my DVD's anywhere, and stuff like that.

Are there any laptops that are really good for gaming? Can anyone recommend something? Or is it a bad idea to get a laptop for gaming reasons?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    The Toshiba laptop I got in September runs generally well - Naturally you won't get as much out of it as a desktop, but mine ATM has been running a lot of games quite well (Had Dawn of War installed last week).

The main thing to do for gaming is the processor - Forget the Centrinos. They're like Celerons for laptops. Make sure it's got either an AMD or Intel Pentium 4 inside - It'll take more juice than a Centrino but chances are your laptop will be plugged in most of the time (don't expect a 48-hour UT2004 fest on the battery alone, after all )

Likewise, check that it has either an ATI or nVidia inside and check the cards on the net (it'll usually say what's inside wherever it's sold, but if not chances are the details will be a web page away ^^).

Other than that, it's just a case of making sure you're getting a decent load - Mine has 512GB RAM and 60GB HDD space for 800 quid so getting a good laptop doesn't have to be expensive.

Hope that helps Rip

NOTE: Forgot to say then, but don't ask what WoW looks like ATM though
    Last edited by Illuminati; 02-06-2005 at 12:11 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    So even though it won't be as good as a desktop, as long as I get one with a good processor, RAM, and video card I should be fine. Thanks for the info.

Do laptops get really hot when you play games on them for a while?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Mine doesn't seem to unless the fan is blocked, and usually the sounds coming from it lets me know that there's paper behind it before the heat does

The adaptor on the power lead however could be used to cook eggs

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    The adaptor on the power lead however could be used to cook eggs

I was looking into the Dell Inspiron XPS. Looks like it has the parts inside I'm looking for, but its kind of bulky and ugly looking.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I have to admit, it does look a little bulky. But the laptop does look like it's engineered for gaming. It could break your back, but don't worry about the look - You get some pretty nifty covers (wish I had something like the Night Cypher one )

But don't forget the main thing - it's a gaming laptop! It isn't what it looks like but what it can do under the hood. Leave the good looks for the PowerBook generation

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Don't expect this laptop of yours to play any graphically challenging games (expect less than 8 FPS on Doom 3 and lower on newer games) Infact if you want the play games 2004 and older laptops are alright, if you want to play any new games from the end of 2004 to 2005 and onwards forget about it.

EDIT: After looking at the laptop you susgested i take part part of what i said, however that 9800 in there is not anywhere near as powerful as a normal 9800, expect less than 15 FPS on Doom 3 and expect lag in newer games, by the end of 2005 it will struggle to play game at a playable FPS. Get a destop if you want a games.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 02-06-2005 at 12:57 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Damn.

I want to be able to play newer games like UT2004 and Doom 3, but I really want a laptop. Just the fact that I will be able to listen to my MP3's, watch my movies, and play my games just about anywhere... sounds awesome.

I might consider getting a desktop then...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    get a decent desktop, and th emoney you save on getting a desktop, get a ok 2nd hand laptop of ebay with the leftover money. then you get the best of both worlds

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    yiny46's Avatar Mr. President
    i have a great laptop idea...its a great gaming laptop...but its somewhat expensive the price is from $1649 to $1899This website gives all the info you need
    Off the Wall Flash Productions 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast