Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Problem!! Please Help!!

MusicChick's Avatar Poster

Unsure

I went to some crack web pages and my computer froze up because of all the popup ads. I didn't wait for it to respond or anything because I was getting frustrated with it, so I pressed Ctrl Alt Delete to restart it. Well I went back to the crack sites to get the crack I needed and it froze again, and I pressed Ctrl Alt Delete. Well when I restarted my computer it got to the startup screen and took forever to load. Well, I scanned my computer for viruses and I had about 5. I got rid of them with AVG, and I thought everything would be fine.

I restarted my computer and it took way too long for it to load. I've run scandisk and disk defragmenter and still way too slow loading up. Inbetween times when it took a while to get past the startup screen I pressed ctrl alt delete to see if it would help. Well that made me start it in safe mode. While in safe mode I looked in Control panel to see what the problem is. Here is what it said:

"Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
    Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version."

I looked up at microsoft to find a solution and this is what it said"

"SYMPTOMS
    The Performance tab in System properties shows that one or more of the hard disks in your computer is using MS-DOS Compatibility mode. MS-DOS compatibility mode may be in use either for the file system or for virtual memory. You may receive the following message:

Compatibility Mode Paging reduces overall system performance
    CAUSE
    MS-DOS Compatibility mode may be in use for any of the following reasons:
    • An "unsafe" device driver, memory-resident program, or virus hooked the INT21h or INT13h chain before Windows is loaded.
    • The hard disk controller in your computer was not detected by Windows.
    • The hard disk controller was removed from the current configuration in Device Manager.
    • There is a resource conflict between the hard disk controller and another hardware device.
    • The Windows protected-mode driver is missing or damaged.
    • The Windows 32-bit protected-mode disk drivers detected an unsupportable configuration or incompatible hardware.
    • You are running Windows Millennium Edition (Me) and have used Drive Copy 2.0 by Powerquest to copy the contents of one hard disk to another hard disk."

None of the solutions it said to do would work. I'm running my computer normally (not in safe mode). But it's still slow starting up and my wallpaper and Icons are all grey looking. I've recently installed a external harddrive to my computer which is 250 gigs. My C:\ drive is only 6 gigs. Could the external harddrive have caused any problems? I'm doubting it did though because the problem has just now happenned and I've had the harddrive installed for about a month now. (Also all of my harddrives don't have any red x beside them in control panel.)

Could the virus have caused this problem to my computer? I've been needing to reformat my computer anyway, because it's over a year past due, so if I were to reformat would that help? Would reformatting help get it back to normal before the virus screwed it up? Please Please help!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Could be a trojan or virus . I visit warez sites all the time ,but my pop up stopper has saved me a few times .That and useing Firefox and Norton. Sounds like a real cluster fuck . But not the end of the world . Try a few other things first, like trojan removers or online scans . Sypware removers etc. I would back up what I could . I never liked System Restore much. Get a comfy chair , format and reinstall . Or mabye Hijackthis might help.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-10-2005 at 05:47 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thank you so much for all your help! I'll try all of the above.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicChick
    Thank you so much for all your help! I'll try all of the above.

You did your homework ! I checked microftsoft data base and see what you tryed. But not to worry you'll get it fixed . Was going to PM you to see what crack you were looking for ,but sadly pm not enabled .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Have u tried going into device manager to see what is ur current transfer mode for ur harddrive is.

Is the harddrive you are using Ide or sata?
    Last edited by spirex; 02-10-2005 at 06:13 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by spirex
    Have u tried going into device manager to see what is ur current transfer mode for ur harddrive is.

Is the harddrive you are using Ide or sata?

I don't see anything about transfer mode. Oh, and it says that the hardrive is ide.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicChick
    I don't see anything about transfer mode. Oh, and it says that the hardrive is ide.

Right click on ide controller properties . select dma mode if applicable . Lets start with that . But still think it's a virus . But have been proven wrong before .

Don't give up yet ! Someone will help. Have a nice night ! Sleep on it . Problems seem so easy in the morning !
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-10-2005 at 08:03 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    err i wouldn't go to any crack sites in IE. they almost always contain popups, viruses, trojans, etc. and IE doesn't block any of it.
    In firefox just the page loads, the downloads still contain viruses or trojans or spyware but you just scan it first before opening to know which files not to open (never open "start.exe").

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    no, your hard drive isnt the problem
    i'd bet my left nut that its all the shit that the warez site loaded
    i would try another anti-virus,
    dont know what ever came of edske but he always had up to date stand alone NOD32s
    maybe someone can help you find that...or symantec corp
    and an anti-trojan, as AVs arent the best for triojan detection
    heres a couple of online links that may help:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    try trojanhunter found here http://www.trojanhunter.com/ a very good trojan removal proggy w/ free trial version(spyware free).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast