Thread: switching from kde to gnome

how do i switch from kde to gnome in mandrake 10.0, i am outa of options, basically tried everything anyway i would be more the glad if anybody helps me!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    have you tried logging out then when you log back in change the desktop setting to gnome.

of course this will only work if gnome is installed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    have you tried logging out then when you log back in change the desktop setting to gnome.

i dont get any options that will allow me to change into gnome when i log into the mandrake desktop so i guess i do not have gnome installed!! btw is there a way that i can download/install of the internet, if yes, what version and could u pls post a manual or step to step guide so i can install it without any hassle (i am still a newbie )

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    mandrake 10.1 was supposed to have included gnome
    so you probably have it it just needs to be installed
    but i dont know the inner workings of mandrake
    (hell i'm still learning suse)
    suse has YaST, and i can run that to install apps (i think)
    if you have some kind of setup tool like that, try that maybe
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You might need to enable the option on the login screen, if you only used one window manager from the start or so, can't remember exactly what you need to add, but I remember it as only having to write a line or so (you can change it in settings too, can't remember where tho'), and you really need to have gnome installed if you haven't.

Also, you get logged into kde by default on your setup, I reckon, try logging out from kde and see what happens, if gnome is installed you should be able to start a new session with gnome if there's nothing else that needs to be enabled.

I'll have a look at teh web, and see if I can find a link.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-11-2005 at 04:09 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    you need to edit your .xinitrc script to use gnome instead of kde.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mEtho
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play

i dont get any options that will allow me to change into gnome when i log into the mandrake desktop so i guess i do not have gnome installed!! btw is there a way that i can download/install of the internet, if yes, what version and could u pls post a manual or step to step guide so i can install it without any hassle (i am still a newbie )
    Almost everything you want to download for Linux is available via urpmi. Just follow these 3 steps. Then when you want to install something just become root and do urpmi program. It will download and install everything automatically.