Thread: is there any reason UKians can only get 256k upload?

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    surely if the lines can take over 2Mb one way they can do it the other

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I get 378k. Still crap though.

I think it's because they hate us. They seem more concerned with boosting download speeds than upload speed at the moment.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    if you go to adslguide.org there is a wealth of information there...the reason the UK is behind relative to a lot of the world is that the UK government (M thatcher i believe) decided that it would be a waste of time to allow BT to put down better cables, which would allow for faster speeds. I think it was stg to do with competition for cable suppliers too, but im not sure bout that exactly.

Basically, we can support >256 - take ukonline/bulldog llu suppliers, who are offering 400k as standard on the lines they provide, which, for all intents and purposes are the same lines used by BT. They are also offering greater download speed (8Mb), whereas BT are overly conservative with their estimates of the level of speed that can be supported by a line, based on the noise on the line.
    <insert signature here>

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    found out why, it wouldn't really be hard to fix it so a 2mb/256 line is 1.1mb/1.1mb. unless i'm missing something we should be able to choose what we want

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

There are two competing and incompatible standards for ADSL. The official ANSI standard for ADSL is a system called discrete multitone, or DMT. According to equipment manufacturers, most of the ADSL equipment installed today uses DMT. An earlier and more easily implemented standard was the carrierless amplitude/phase (CAP) system, which was used on many of the early installations of ADSL.

CAP operates by dividing the signals on the telephone line into three distinct bands: Voice conversations are carried in the 0 to 4 KHz (kilohertz) band, as they are in all POTS circuits. The upstream channel (from the user back to the server) is carried in a band between 25 and 160 KHz. The downstream channel (from the server to the user) begins at 240 KHz and goes up to a point that varies depending on a number of conditions (line length, line noise, number of users in a particular telephone company switch) but has a maximum of about 1.5 MHz (megahertz). This system, with the three channels widely separated, minimizes the possibility of interference between the channels on one line, or between the signals on different lines.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Perhaps they are trying to hold back a "Superior" nation lol

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Djtima's Avatar ^__^
    haahhaha.... yeah... they plan to download from the us and aus.... using there fast upload speeds

Tima's : [ Devart - AudioScrobbler - Xfire ]

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I almost thought the title said "Ukrainians".

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8

Cool

Doesn't anyone offer SDSL or 10mit in the UK?

- Birkaa

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by birkaa
    Doesn't anyone offer SDSL or 10mit in the UK?
    Not unless you want to pay business prices ($300-$500 a month in USD)

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Not unless you want to pay business prices ($300-$500 a month in USD)
    Auch

Here people can get 10mbit inet, ipphone and digital TV for about $125 USD a month.

- Birkaa