Thread: Installed new hardware and Windows wont start

Poster
    My old setup of drives was

DVD-ROM
    DVD+RW

My DVD-ROM happened to stop working at the same time i bought a dual layer burner. So instead of buying a new DVD-ROM, I moved the DVD+RW to the DVD-ROM slot and put in my Dual Layer burner instead of the old writer.

After I installed the new DVD+RW (DL) burner, i started the computer. It took longer than usual on the first "Loading BIOS" screen but it finished and came up with;
    START
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
    Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30
    END

I tried Start Windows normally and Last Known Good Configuration but both of these just came up with a never ending loading windows screen.

I tried Safe Mode but the computer got stuck after listing all the things it was loading.

I'm stuck and I don't know what to do.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Did you change the jumper on the drive to indicate it's a Master and use the end connector of the IDE cable?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I didn't do anything to the drive, just connected it the same way as the other one was before.

I will have a look at the jumper now...

but will that affect windows start up? wouldn't it cause an error once in windows?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Why do you need 2 DVD burners?

Just install 1 DVD burner as a Master and try it like that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    i don't need 2 burners but i will use my old burner as a DVD-ROM drive so that i can burn on the fly.

I set the jumpers and Windows does load, although slower than before

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    i don't need 2 burners but i will use my old burner as a DVD-ROM drive so that i can burn on the fly.

I set the jumpers and Windows does load, although slower than before
    First few loads after safe mode are always slower for some reason.

I think it drops a lot of stuff which then has to be reloaded, probably things like prefetch, dllcache, indexing etc.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.