Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Socket A Athlon 1.3 Changing Mobo ???

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    Hi,

I have a system infront of me with a AMD Athlon 1.3 on a GigaByte GA-7DX Mobo now the mobo is fudged no video output at all i tried a different graphic card as still blank on start up so mobo is damaged i think. Now i am planning on getting a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 to replace the GA-7DX will this be ok.

I am doing a upgrade also:

These are whats going on the new board (some are old parts that were used on old board)

80GB Hard Drive
    128MB PC2100 and 256MB PC2100 DDR Ram
    nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB <------------- yeah its old not my PC tho
    AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz

Now my main thing is about setting CPU speed when i get new board ??????? about the DIP switch on the new board i looked through manual (havent bought mobo yet but got manual from Gigabyte website) and looks simple i set the SW1 to ON so 100mhz is on not Auto and set multiplyer to 13x is this correct ??????

I think might haveto do grpahics card upgrade to support the board. Please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    How do you know it the motherboard that's "fudged"?

Try another powersupply and clear the CMOS.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well the power supply works i think all other hardware starts up. I have another so can try that. Could with me adding new things not enough power to the system to have the video output. Nothing comes up on the screen its just blank but this system works fine on the display. Is it safe to clear Cmos what do i do ???

I found in manual i change a jumper so do i do that then start up then see if it shows something on display then restart and but jumper back in normal posistion.
    Last edited by Josh; 02-16-2005 at 10:51 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    no just put the jumper into the other position for a few seconds then put it back THEN startup.
    starting up with the cmos jumper on can damage the board.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    For clearing the CMOS...

-Turn off the power.
    -Move the jumper to the clear position for a few seconds.
    -Move the jumper back to the normal postion.
    -Power on and see if it starts up.

Try starting with the minimal components installed. Power supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card. Disconnect everyting else.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So no Hard Drive on ????

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstyle_rave
    So no Hard Drive on ????
    No hard drive, no floppy drive, nothing connected via serial cable, parallel cable, usb or anything.

The whole point is to try to find out if something else is dragging the system down, so you want as little connected as possible. If you are going to change the motherboard you are going to have to disconnect them all anyway, so there isn't even any extra work!

If it still doesn't work after you've done all that, it probably is the motherboard, but ideally you should test the remaining parts (especially the CPU and power supply) by some other means just to be sure.

Edit: if you get POST beeps at bootup after disconnecting everything, then chances are that your motherboard is NOT faulty.
    Last edited by lynx; 02-17-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well the mobo had a 30gb 5200rpm harddrive on it now a 80gb hard drive 7200rpm drive and extra 256mb pc2100 ram added the old 128mb pc2100 still there.

Also a 16x DVD-ROM drive added i set jumpers correctly. There was just a CD-RW their before when i get it back will do what u have suggested iaint at my home at moment

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You can also try it with only one memory module in place. Try it with each module separately. That way you eliminate the possibility of the RAM being the problem.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I tried all suggestions and nothing so looks like gonna need the new board so back to my first post plz explain the DIP switch to me. So i put SW1 to ON so FSB on 100Mhz instead of auto since its 1300mhz processor. And set switches to 13x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast