Thread: Windows xp firewall Vs zone alarm.?????

enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    As you will now gather i`m having a few teething problems with xp pro at the moment.

I have zone alarm installed on my computer but i`ve been reading that this shuts off the firewall in windows xp.Everytime i boot up xp firewall is swithed off.

Is this because of zone alarm or is it because windows xp is pants.

I like to have zone alarm because i like to know what`s accessing the internet.Is it worth uninstalling zone alarm and just usuing the xp firewalll or the other way round.

Another option is the sygate firewall but i installed this the other day and my computer went on a continuious cycle of reboot.

Thanks in advance.

I may just get use to xp and then longhorn will be out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Zonealarm is a firewall.
    Installing and using another firewall (or two) will cause problems.
    Turn off (or leave off) the XP firewall.
    Stick with Zonealarm if you like it.
    Last edited by Chewie; 02-17-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Use anything but the integrated windoze firewall.
    If SP2 is installed on your puter, disable the whole security center.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Zone alarm has got the edge on xp's firewall I would say but I never realised you could disable sp2's security features every days a school day.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    use zonealarm...annd disable the windows firewall.
    i'd only use the windows firewall if u already had a router or other hardware firewall.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    Windows inbuilt F\Wall has no out-bound protection...So all Billy Gates dodgy shite can phone home without being stopped

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh!
    Windows inbuilt F\Wall has no out-bound protection...So all Billy Gates dodgy shite can phone home without being stopped
    Hello!

The FW in SP2 has been improved and whenever you open a new application that wants to access the Internet it just like Zone Alarm ask you if you want it to be allowed to access the Internet or if you want to block its access!.

SP2's built in FW has enough protection for most people atleast for private personal computers not running server software it is enough when combined with a antivirus program and Spyware Blaster and SpywareGuard!.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I've never tried xp's firewall tbh because I've always had a legit copy of ZA pro on the go yes I paid for it but I just thought that I'd add to this discussion that through this board a learned anout a free app called peer guardian, when I left this running while normal surfing and sharing and I got warnings about blocked connections from sony, m$ and others which ZA pro never even mentioned, I just thought I'd mention that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser_soze
    I've never tried xp's firewall tbh because I've always had a legit copy of ZA pro on the go yes I paid for it but I just thought that I'd add to this discussion that through this board a learned anout a free app called peer guardian, when I left this running while normal surfing and sharing and I got warnings about blocked connections from sony, m$ and others which ZA pro never even mentioned, I just thought I'd mention that.
    PEer Guardian pissed me off. IT blocked "legit sites". I tried going to macromedia.com, to dl flash player, and the site was blocked. It gets really restricting after a while.

Da Numba1Xclusive King

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    PEer Guardian pissed me off. IT blocked "legit sites". I tried going to macromedia.com, to dl flash player, and the site was blocked. It gets really restricting after a while.
    Its just a case of when you get blocked from a legit site c/and pasting the blocked i.p into your aloowed sites box and problem solved, I don't suppose its any harder than having to allow certain things like 3rd party cookies, animation or java for legit sites in ZA pro.