Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will take out this whole city block

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Well, if she keeps falling for that kind of guy there's no risk of her getting laid any time soon.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    so you boringify places then?
    Yes Dave, we are.

Back in the golden era all the streets of Manhattan were fancifully named and the people travelled on winged unicorns and sang ghey songs all day long.

Unfortunately, since there were 100's of crossing streets in a very congested area, everyone was getting lost without a highly detailed map.

One day, the Mayor suggested a "logical structure" so that anyone could easily navigate such a chaotic area.

Alas the streets were renamed and I don't have to tell you that the unicorns have all gone away. The people remain, but their world is now black and white and they cough clouds of gray all day long.

So when someone asks you "What's in a name?"

You just remind them of New York City.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by gemby!
    so is a 'block' the same as, say in london we have it split under areas like hammersmith, queensway, lambeth etc. ?? otherwise im still confused
    Hammersmith, queensway, lambeth are probably like our boroughs, which are political divisions within a single city. You can see this in very large cities like London and New York.

New York City has 5 boroughs (Manhattan,Bronx,Queens,Staten Island and Brooklyn), which are actually pretty big chunks of land.

boroughs of London

A block is defined by streets. Where 2 parallel streets are crossed by 2 perpendicular ones. In the graph 2000 and 2500 are crossed by 1960 and 1970. The area inside is a block. Called "blocks" because that is what they look like.

Ignore what the graph is about, pretend it is a map and the numbers are street names.

So what do you call a "block"?
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-19-2005 at 08:43 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    I bought a dreamcast a couple of days ago and finaly got a game for it today, just this minute put sonic adventure in to find that the dreamcast is flucked! So now ive got to go all the way back into town to get it changed

no i woupldn't spell check this psot!!!111 :verydissapointedwiththegamestationshop:
    oh ffs this ones fucked too!!!111 it switches of after 2 hours play :mad: I'm taking the flucker back and buying a game cube, shouldn't have sold it anyway

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I got a migrane today, its been going on sence 2. I have thrown up twice, but its going away now.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    I got a migrane today, its been going on sence 2. I have thrown up twice, but its going away now.

Nasty...used to get those when a teenager, I grew out of em though, so hopefully you will too....eventually.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Yes Dave, we are.

Back in the golden era all the streets of Manhattan were fancifully named and the people travelled on winged unicorns and sang ghey songs all day long.

Unfortunately, since there were 100's of crossing streets in a very congested area, everyone was getting lost without a highly detailed map.

One day, the Mayor suggested a "logical structure" so that anyone could easily navigate such a chaotic area.

Alas the streets were renamed and I don't have to tell you that the unicorns have all gone away. The people remain, but their world is now black and white and they cough clouds of gray all day long.

So when someone asks you "What's in a name?"

You just remind them of New York City.
    the rest of the world learns to read maps and laugh at those who cant

8. Lounge   -   #38
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    my pc has gone crazy. slimbrowser/MSIE crash when i right-click or select text. mozilla/firefox just refuse to load

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    the rest of the world learns to read maps and laugh at those who cant
    When I said, "People were getting lost without a highly detailed map". Was that confusing? It means that when they have a map, they don't get lost.

What does the world think about people who can't understand posts?

10. Lounge   -   #40
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    yeah whatever. renaming streets for people who are too stupid to use a map is stupid. throw em in at the deep end or they'll never learn

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast