Thread: Jimmy Carter

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    GROTON, Conn. - The USS Jimmy Carter enters the Navy's fleet as the most heavily armed submarine ever built, and as the last of the Seawolf class of attack subs that the Pentagon (news - web sites) ordered during the Cold War's final years.

The $3.2 billion Jimmy Carter will be commissioned Saturday, signaling the end of an era in submarining and more uncertain times for the multibillion-dollar industry.

The 453-foot, 12,000-ton submarine has a 50-torpedo payload and eight torpedo tubes. And, according to intelligence experts, it can tap undersea cables and eavesdrop on the communications passing through them.

As the Pentagon looks to shrink the submarine fleet and buy smaller, cheaper subs, the commissioning ceremony harkens back to a time when ship builders bustled to maintain an overpowering fleet of massive subs.

In eastern Connecticut, a region steeped in submarine history and the home to the Electric Boat shipyard, which built and launched the Seawolves, some fear the Pentagon will close the submarine base as part of the Base Realignment and Closure initiative.

"It's hard to find a civilian that doesn't have some connection to the sub force," said Bud Fay, who owns a diner, car wash and laundry not far from the base gates in Groton.

Capt. Robert D. Kelso, commander of the Jimmy Carter, said BRAC has caused uncertainly on the base. "You can make a good case to keep the base open ... The community can be proud of this commissioning ceremony."

Saturday's ceremony will be the last commissioning in Groton for years. Electric Boat and Newport News in Virginia are teaming up to build the Virginia class submarines, which will be commissioned elsewhere.

John Pike, a military analyst with globalsecurity.org, said the ceremony closes the book on the big-submarine era.

"It was part of our strategy on how we were going to win World War III. It was a significant component in our response to the evil empire," he said.

The Pentagon is still unsure what future submarines will look like and how they will contribute to the war on terrorism and future conflicts, Pike said.

To ensure that the last Seawolf was not obsolete before it hit the water, the Pentagon delayed production to install a 100-foot hull extension that military analysts say equips the Jimmy Carter to replace the USS Parche, one of the fleet's premier spy subs.

The Parche was decommissioned in October. The Jimmy Carter will be based out Kitsap, Wash., the Parche's former home.

Former President Carter, himself a submariner during his time in the Navy, will attend Saturday's ceremony, which marks the vessel's formal entry into the fleet.

I don't know why but I have this rather odd mental picture of J2 reading this ( mainly involving ears and steam )
    Last edited by Biggles; 02-19-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles

I don't know why but I have this rather odd mental picture of J2 reading this ( mainly involving ears and steam )
    I'm sure at some point the words "liberal president" , "going down" and "seamen" will come to mind

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Actually, I was aware of this, but I'm more struck by the incredible irony than anything else, so no "ear/steam" action; sorry, guys.

I wonder what will be going through his mind as he attends the ceremonials...

The sailors on that particular boat will surely come up with a nickname for her that provides the appropriate distance from her namesake.

Who said the U.S. government had no sense of humor?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Actually, I was aware of this, but I'm more struck by the incredible irony than anything else, so no "ear/steam" action; sorry, guys.

I wonder what will be going through his mind as he attends the ceremonials...

The sailors on that particular boat will surely come up with a nickname for her that provides the appropriate distance from her namesake.

Who said the U.S. government had no sense of humor?

Although given the average age of crew hands the boat will simply be named after another President (one which they may or may not know is still alive).

Given the expense of running these things and the total lack of anybody to fire torpedos at, I think it might be a rather nice little sinecure.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Given the expense of running these things and the total lack of anybody to fire torpedos at, I think it might be a rather nice little sinecure.
    To paraphrase Tom Petty:

"Damn The Torpedoes..."

Who needs 'em-there're 50 missile tubes on her.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    To paraphrase Tom Petty:

"Damn The Torpedoes..."

Who needs 'em-there're 50 missile tubes on her.

Surely not!

I think you picked up on the 50 torpedo payload. She would be a cumbersome beast with 50 missile tubes. Actually 50 torpedoes isn't exactly travelling light.

However, there is not much chance of them loading 50 torpedoes on board. Sub lauched conventionally armed Cruise missiles are much more likely.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Surely not!

I think you picked up on the 50 torpedo payload. She would be a cumbersome beast with 50 missile tubes. Actually 50 torpedoes isn't exactly travelling light.

However, there is not much chance of them loading 50 torpedoes on board. Sub lauched conventionally armed Cruise missiles are much more likely.
    Actually it sounded like a lot to me, too.

Caught it on the FOXNEWS crawl, so I don't wonder why the details were presented so sketchily.

I guess I'll have to go check it out, now...

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Hmmmm.

As you said, Biggles, the torpedo payload is 50; couldn't find any info about number of missile tubes.

Sure is a waste of firepower, though.

Since the boat can only turn left, it'll never get too far from port, will it?

BTW-I expect that the most "cumbersome" thing about the boat will be the name...
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-19-2005 at 09:21 PM.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster

I think I need a beer. I was starting to get all fired up about the U.S. spending 2.3 bil on a sub that only turned left.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose

I think I need a beer. I was starting to get all fired up about the U.S. spending 2.3 bil on a sub that only turned left.
    If you still want to get fired up, consider what good luck it is that rabbits are not sea-faring animals.

-Mark Twain