Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle v Chelsea

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Newcastle v Chelsea preview

Chelsea's bid for a four trophy haul takes them to St James' Park on Sunday in what is arguably the tie of the round, shown live on Sky Sports 1.

The two sides met earlier in the campaign in the Carling Cup and it was Jose Mourinho's side which eventually came out on top courtesy of Eidur Gudjohnsen's winner.

Mourinho has stated that the FA Cup is not a priority and as consequence, it is likely more star names, along with Arjen Robben, will be watching from the sidelines.

Barcelona loom on a midweek horizon and with this is mind, Mourinho will rest virtual ever present Frank Lampard - with Jiri Jarosik (who is ineligible for the UEFA Champions League) set to deputise.

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness will be further hearted by the news that John Terry is suspended, but probably less so when he realises Ricardo Carvalho is fit again to replace him.

Didier Drogba has been missing since the start of the month with a groin injury and it is likely that Gudjohnsen will start as a lone striker with support from Joe Cole and Damien Duff.

Record breaking Petr Cech, as in the Carling Cup, could be rested with Carlo Cudicini an able deputy if called upon.

Mateja Kezman is back in Chelsea's squad after injury but is likely to have to settle for a place on the bench unless Mourinho saves his Icelandic hit man for Barcelona.

Newcastle will have tired legs after their exertions in the Uefa Cup on Thursday and could be without former Chelsea full-back Celestine Babayaro who is battling a knee injury sustained in Heerenveen.

Influential midfielder Nicky Butt is struggling to beat an ankle injury, whilst Souness will also need to check on the fitness of Jean Alain-Boumsong (back) and Kieron Dyer (viral infection).

To compound Souness' midfield concerns, Lee Bowyer and Amdy Faye are suspended.

Mourinho may have one eye on his midweek duel with Frank Rijkaard but Chelsea have repeatedly shown this season they can dig deep and the depth of their squad could still prove too much for Newcastle.

C'mon teh toon.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 02-20-2005 at 11:10 AM.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    The early match on bcc one earlier will be better.Burnley Vs blackurn:burnley seasonticketholder::grin:

I see on the telly the other day that the chelsea manarger could`nt stop shaking the other managers hand at the begiinning of the match the other day.:wonderifhegottoldoff:
    Last edited by enoughfakefiles; 02-20-2005 at 11:59 AM.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I have roused my friend Alan from her hangover so it looks like I'll be watching the game in the pub. NUFC haven't won a game I've watched in a pub since...god knows when...

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Go on Chelsea

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Go on Chelsea

Agree'd, Newcastle are gonna get pwnd :azad:

Theres no stopping Chelsea winning 4 cups now, they've already pritty much one the premiership

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Agree'd, Newcastle are gonna get pwnd :azad:

Theres no stopping Chelsea winning 4 cups now, they've already pritty much one the premiership
    Care to wager on that?

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Unfortunately I won't be watching round my mate's house as I had hoped

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Unfortunately I won't be watching round my mate's house as I had hoped
    Come down my local pub.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    By the time I get there the game will be over

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Care to wager on that?
    Iv already placed £10 on it with another mate.

@Dan - If your like me and dont have Sky Sports and can't be assed walking to teh pub you can listen to it trough teh net radio.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast