Thread: A DivX/DVD player question

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    do they play OGM files?

i was thinking they use the same codecs but with an extra soundtrack or subtitles, so it's just a matter of opening the container
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    nuh uh. no. the most popular ones like the philips dvp-642 don't. typically these players support ogg music files and windows media music files, but not as part of a movie file. if you want to play an ogm file on one of those players, you need to open the file with a program like virtualdubmod, demux the ogg soundtrack, convert it to wav/mp3/ac3, then mux it with the video stream into an avi container.

if you really want a piece of hardware that'll play ogm on a tv (aside from using tv-out on a pc), you'll prolly wanna go with a modified xbox or a "windows media center extender" (a machine about the size of a dvd player, which streams files over a lan from media center pcs). otherwise, ogms need to be remuxed as avi files for the most common mpeg-4 players.

there's also a streaming media program for playstation 2. it's called "gameshark media player" in the u.s. and "medio" in europe. it supports ogm, but i dunno how well it works since i've never tried it.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 02-21-2005 at 11:37 AM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i was thinking about getting a DivX player some time in the future - is OGM capability something that's in development?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants