Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The future of gaming

Sick

Well I bought Half life 2 a couple of months ago "retail Box",after installing.
    I expected to be able to play it,I find out I have to activated it through another program "Steam". "Not printed on the box"

After spending hours upon hours of trying to get Steam working,I gave up.
    I checked their forum for tech help but nothing works.

If this is the future of gaming then I want no part of it,the program it self seems pretty shity from the number of posts I've read on their site.

As for Valve I'm not buying anything else from thoses A-holes,or any other company that use this system.
    "Specs"
    CPU:High,some say I'm a legend in My own mind.
    Update! Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she's ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

2. Games   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    nahh.... steam is just a fag....

lol and it doesen't seem so hard, install steam, input key, install half life 2, your done!
    Last edited by Monkeee; 02-21-2005 at 08:26 AM.

3. Games   -   #3
    Yeah it's crap,I haven't been able to get to the point of entering my cd key.
    Messed with my firewall ect.nothing works.

Only thing I haven't done was change my Internet provider which someone suggested,that's not an option for me right now.
    "Specs"
    CPU:High,some say I'm a legend in My own mind.
    Update! Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she's ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

4. Games   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    well i bought hl2, installed it and steam opens up. i let it do it's thing (note: turn off Antivirus and Firewall, trust me on this one). then after "unlocking the files" i entered cd key (or was it enter cd key then it unlocked files i dont remember but its one or the other). after it unlocked the files it updated the game which took another good 30 min. after that i was ready to go, all in all, even tho steam sux, the game (half life 2 and of course the actual reason why i got hl2: counter strike source) really pays off. steam may suck but it makes up for in some good ol counter strike source

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Games   -   #5
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i doubt it'll be the future of all games.

if HL2 didn't uber kick ass enough for people to tolerate the steam shit it would be gathering dust on shop shelves. i think by the number of complaints, valve were kind of expecting us to hate it. i had to be told by the shop-keeper that i needed the internet. if you look closely it does sort of say you need the internet on the case

6. Games   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    So you cant even play single player without steam...thats gay.

Man..all you do is install steam when you install the game. The open steam and create a new, free account. Then when you sign in, click Play Games. Then at the bottom of the new screen it brings up it will say something like Register New Game...do that, type in the CD Key, and it should be fine.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Games   -   #7
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    theres plenty of people who dont have the internet still though

8. Games   -   #8
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    BLAME SIERRA! lol sierra trys too hard to make there games unique in some way

9. Games   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen747x
    BLAME SIERRA! lol sierra trys too hard to make there games unique in some way
    As far as i know SIERRA arn't in anyway related to Half Life 2, they published HL1 but Venvidia (sp?) published HL2. Also what was unique about HL1?, it was just the game that was best as its genre. Also why blame SIERRA? They have hardly any input into the making of the games, they had no input into HL2, and the only input that had in HL1 was the little video at the start of the game and there name on the box.

10. Games   -   #10
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    peerzy you need to relax on contridicting me =P

i was unawar that sierra didnt make HL2, thats kind of odd imo, but yeah i dunno, ive played a lot of sierra games and they had something similar to the Steam thing (i think, havent actually seen Steam though) but umm, yeah HL1 and other sierra games have a special program for updates and shit that i found to be horribly useless and time wasting

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast