Thread: Will splitting cable connection reduce speed?

Poster
    Hey All.

I only have one cable connection in my house. Will splitting it affect the speed of my cable internet?

Thanks.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    how are you planning on splitting it?

if you're just talking about like a router/LAN type of thing, then yes, you have a limited amount of bandwith at the source connection, so all devices will be consuming a portion of that bandwidth.

if you're talking about a cable (the BNC-type connector) that your television and cable modems use...and splitting that so it can go to both your TV and modem or whatever...then, well, it's not such an easy answer.
    It can depend on the signal strength (and probably some other factors) from your box...though the cable company can do things at the box to strengthen the signal.

If the latter is what you mean, then call your cable/ISP provider to find out whether or not this should be a concern for you, and if so, if they can do anything for you about it.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    well im splitting my cable tv and cable internet and the speeds are fairly the same ,

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if u mean using a splitter to go between the cable wire and modem/tv then it shouldn't reduce teh speed unless you use low quality wires (or if the signal is already bad).

Splitting as in having two computer share one itnernet aceess then no each computer can download at the max speed of your net speed, but they share the bandwith so if your max is 200kb/s and one computer is downloading at 190kb/s, then the other will download at 10kb/s (and eventually it will even out so they are the same).