Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1,000,000 baby, too taboo social issue?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Anyone that doesn't know the issue of the film and is groing to see it stop reading now so that it's not "spoilt" for you.

Ok for those that know what the film is about.

Much has been said about this movie because of what occurs in it and to a degree the occurance has caused a deal of almost outrage among certain parts of our society. they suggest that the film is promoting euthanasia and shouldn't be shown.
    Should we remove such issues in movies because it makes us feel uncomfortable and why pick on this subject when literally millions of on screen killings have been shown without protest. Why is this taboo when it's ok to show other killings?
    Is the movie industry really a lifestyle lobby that is trying to make us behave how they want us to, or is it a reflection of what we are.

I've seen the argument that the trailers didn't advertise the film accurately, well what movie trailer ever has?

I believe that the outrage has very little to do with the subject matter and more to do with the choice that was made regarding the subject. A different choice and the movie would be hailed as a fine commentary on social values

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Retired
    they suggest that the film is promoting euthanasia and shouldn't be shown.
    This is the same in my opinion as saying 'Kids should not watch Spongebob because he is gay'.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Yet these same folk are not outraged about outright murder in movies.

I say don't give these dipshits a platform to speak on regarding the movie.

They need some

STFU!!!! and GTFO!!!!

Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I haven't seen the movie; I'm sure I will over time.

As to using cinema as a medium for presenting controversial viewpoints, I don't see that much can be done to ensure fairness, nor do I think a "fair" presentation will be "fair enough" for anyone with a strong opinion on any of the several sides of a given issue.

It is somewhat like our various forms of democratic government-imperfect, but better than the alternatives.

Michael Moore's efforts were seen by some as just a bit tainted, ideologically, but eventually his movie was countered by another.

It all may be a bit messy, financially as well as stylistically, but it ends up working.

Euthanasia is an issue which has simmered for years; moving it to the front burner is for the good, I would think.

Let's see if it is allowed to become what it should be: A state's rights issue.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I recall a rather moving play some years called "Whose life is it anyway?" which dealt with many of these issues.

It is still a difficult subject though. It is very hard to argue for euthanasia on behalf of someone else but it is possible to argue eloquently for it on one's own behalf.

Compulsory euthanasia is, imho, a contradiction of terms. The grey area is where the infirm and elderly elect to go voluntarily because of social pressure to do so.

The ungrey area is where someone is clearly dying of a painful disease and they would like the opportunity to die with dignity and comfort surrounded by those who love them.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Let's see if it is allowed to become what it should be: A state's rights issue.
    I'm hoping this will stay a little longer on the point of if we should be stopping such films being shown...(you did answer that) instead of getting into a debate about euthanasia itself, although I am expecting it to go in that direction.
    I just want to counter your belief that it should be a "state's rights issue" . I couldn't disagree any stronger. It should be entirely a personal rights issue. No matter where one finds oneself residing
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-26-2005 at 06:33 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I'm hoping this will stay a little longer on the point of if we should be stopping such films being shown...(you did answer that) instead of getting into a debate about euthanasia itself, although I am expecting it to go in that direction.
    I just want to counter your belief that it should be a "state's rights issue" . I couldn't disagree any stronger. It should be entirely a personal rights issue. No matter where one finds oneself residing
    Whether or not the film should be shown is pretty much a dumb issue raised loudly by some groups (probably conservative).

Suicide goes against my personal religious beliefs but I see know reason to stop a person who is dying a slow horrible death from killing themselves. We could try and talk them out of it but their suicide is their choice.

Anyone killing another directly needs jail time so that definition of euthanasia I disagree with. Pulling the plug on someone that's brain dead is another matter.

Dr. Death's method is ok with me. He gives you the means to kill yourself but I only am ok with this for terminally ill patients and not "old" people.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-26-2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I guess then my point would be that, although there are myriad ways to exercise the personal option of taking one's life, the fulcrum is balanced upon the issue of the individual whose condition precludes personal action, and requires "help" to end his/her life, and so the situation dictates a felt need for legal protection to be conferred upon those who feel the call to provide this, um....service.

In the name of freedom, the ability of individual states to define themselves as legal sanctuaries for things such as euthanasia (and likewise abortion, the death penalty, etc.) should not be curtailed.

To deny the denizens of any state the opportunity to determine the social climate of their particular milieu is unconstitutional.

I now return you to vid's thread and the topic at hand.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I guess then my point would be that, although there are myriad ways to exercise the personal option of taking one's life, the fulcrum is balanced upon the issue of the individual whose condition precludes personal action, and requires "help" to end his/her life, and so the situation dictates a felt need for legal protection to be conferred upon those who feel the call to provide this, um....service.

In the name of freedom, the ability of individual states to define themselves as legal sanctuaries for things such as euthanasia (and likewise abortion, the death penalty, etc.) should not be curtailed.

To deny the denizens of any state the opportunity to determine the social climate of their particular milieu is unconstitutional.

I now return you to vid's thread and the topic at hand.
    What "help" do you refer to?

If it equates to one handing a knife to someone who wants to commit suicide then I see nothing wrong with that. If it equates to one literally helping the person plunge the knife into their chest then that's what I take issue with.

Logic.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    What "help" do you refer to?

If it equates to one handing a knife to someone who wants to commit suicide then I see nothing wrong with that. If it equates to one literally helping the person plunge the knife into their chest then that's what I take issue with.

Logic.
    I see the reasoning behind your view, however just one example. what if the person was suffering and was mentally sound and chose to end it all, but physically unable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast