Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: pharmacists refusing requests

Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    That's fine in theory, as long has no one has to suffer for it.

However, I think a certain amount of control over licensed businesses is a good thing, that way we are sure to get the medicines we need when we need them, and anyone who doesn't like to sell them can go peddle ginseng and omega 3 to their heart's content.

So if I open a shop in your town, I am required to offer everything? No, I offer what I want.

You don't like it, go elsewhere.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    A pharmacy can offer the approved drugs, but it has no obligation to do so. That is purely a business matter, unless they have a contract which specifizes otherwise.

A pharmacy is a business, and a business can operate as it pleases.
    What we are stating is that all UK pharmacies are under contract as part of being granted permission to operate...... this is what a "license" is.

They may be privately owned but they have to operate by specific rules.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    So if I open a shop in your town, I am required to offer everything? No, I offer what I want.

You don't like it, go elsewhere.
    Well they should put a big sign at the entrance to the shop of what they are not willing to do, or sell. If they dont do that then someone should sue them for the embarrassment if they are refused without reasonable grounds. I dont consider religion reasonable grounds. I am sure a court would take the same stance.

In this instance the produce was held in stock. Why stock it if you are not going to sell it?
    Last edited by bigboab; 02-27-2005 at 11:16 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    What we are stating is that all UK pharmacies are under contract as part of being granted permission to operate...... this is what a "license" is.

They may be privately owned but they have to operate by specific rules.
    No, a license is to provide approved drugs, it does not obligate one to provide all approved drugs. If it does then I will gladly shut up.

My philosophy is that any person that opens a business can sell what he wishes. If his views on what should be provided are at odds with society then he shall go bankrupt.

My point is that if I wish to provide a portion of the drugs a community needs, that is my wish. Boab stated in his initial post that I should loss my license. I say "no", let me sell what I please and let the market determine if I stay in business or not.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Well they should put a big sign at the entrance to the shop of what they are not willing to do, or sell. If they dont do that then someone should sue them for the embarrassment if they are refused without reasonable grounds. I dont consider religion reasonable grounds. I am sure a court would take the same stance.

In this instance the produce was held in stock. Why stock it if you are not going to sell it?
    You are completely right. Nothing more to say.

It was an internal problem.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-27-2005 at 11:19 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    A Chemist licensed to issue prescription drugs is controlled strictly and is duty bound to try and fulfil a doctor's prescription and the bulk of the cost of these drugs are met through the NHS.

A Pharmacy in the UK does not have to have a dispensing Chemist on the premises and tends to sell a wide variety of over the counter medicines including herbal and other alternative medicines.

Boots the Chemist (to give them their full name) operate under the first scenario - although they sell lots of other things too.

However, the situation is slightly academic as it was not a case of choosing to not stock the item but rather one individual refusing to handle the item. An internal matter for Boots and pain in the butt for the customer who would have rightly expected better from a Boots employee.
    Last edited by Biggles; 02-27-2005 at 11:21 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You are completely right. Nothing more to say.

It was an internal problem.
    I am going to bed while I am ahead. Before you think of something I cant reply to.
    Last edited by bigboab; 02-27-2005 at 11:23 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Biggles,

Can I operate a facility I call a "pharmacy" in the UK and carry what drugs I think are most cost effective? Or do I have to carry what the government insists upon?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I am going to bed while I am ahead. Before you think of something I cant reply to.
    Night Boab, pleasant dreams.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Biggles,

Can I operate a facility I call a "pharmacy" in the UK and carry what drugs I think are most cost effective? Or do I have to carry what the government insists upon?
    No, you can operate a "pharmacy" and sell medicnes based purely on water if you want.

You can't call it a dispensing Chemist though.

If that makes it clearer?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast