Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: pharmacists refusing requests

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    No, you can operate a "pharmacy" and sell medicnes based purely on water if you want.

You can't call it a dispensing Chemist though.

If that makes it clearer?
    I think "bed" is probably a good place for me as well.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Night Hobbes. The government supplies the Pharmacists with a list of prescription drugs that they have to keep a reasonable supply of. I suppose they will run the stock with normal methods of shopkeeping. Supply and demand etc.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I think "bed" is probably a good place for me as well.

Me too

Night all

Waltons Mountain revisted
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    No, a license is to provide approved drugs, it does not obligate one to provide all approved drugs. If it does then I will gladly shut up.

Ok English > American translation.

Pharmacist goes to med school, qualifies and is granted a license to dispense drugs.

Business wishes to open that dispenses prescription drugs and for that the business requires a license to operate. ( and that license is dependent on rules and regulations governing the pharmaceutical trade )

One of the conditions is that at all times a licensed pharmacist is on duty at all times when doing trade.

BTW... the stores are called chemist in the UK

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles

Me too

Night all

Waltons Mountain revisted

Goodnight, Johnboy.

Last edited by hobbes; 02-27-2005 at 11:36 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Ok English > American translation.

Pharmacist goes to med school, qualifies and is granted a license to dispense drugs.

Business wishes to open that dispenses prescription drugs and for that the business requires a license to operate. ( and that license is dependent on rules and regulations governing the pharmaceutical trade )

One of the conditions is that at all times a licensed pharmacist is on duty at all times when doing trade.

BTW... the stores are called chemist in the UK
    A pharmacist NEVER goes to med school, ever. They are not Doctors that understand drugs and how they react in patients, they are trained in pharmacology.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-27-2005 at 11:42 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    A pharmacist NEVER goes to med school, ever. They are not Doctors that understand drugs and how they react in patients, they are trained in pharmacology.
    Correct, they have to complete a masters degree in Pharmacy here in the UK.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    it is not "doctor" med school but it is a "medical" school
    Uk pharmacist are different to US. They are not doctors and do not have the ability to write prescriptions but they do have to have an understanding of the drugs.

there are many drugs sold over the counter in the UK that are not here, but then "over the counter" in the UK is not the same either. here it means on the shelf and one can serve oneself. In the uk it means one has to ask the pharmacist for it and he has to ask certain health related questions as well as make sure you are not taking any other drugs that may cause adverse effects if taken during the treatment time.

Uk pharmacist can give consultations on medical matters to a certain degree

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    it is not "doctor" med school but it is a "medical" school
    Uk pharmacist are different to US. They are not doctors and do not have the ability to write prescriptions but they do have to have an understanding of the drugs.

there are many drugs sold over the counter in the UK that are not here, but then "over the counter" in the UK is not the same either. here it means on the shelf and one can serve oneself. In the uk it means one has to ask the pharmacist for it and he has to ask certain health related questions as well as make sure you are not taking any other drugs that may cause adverse effects if taken during the treatment time.

Uk pharmacist can give consultations on medical matters to a certain degree
    And so, how does that relate to this thread?

Pharmacists are people who fulfill a prescription that an MD writes. No pharmacist needs to fulfill a prescription that goes against his religion.

Filling prescriptions is a job, not filling them is a philosophy.

Any business owner can do what he pleases.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    Filling prescriptions is a job, not filling them is a philosophy.

Any business owner can do what he pleases.
    I think we are talking at crossed connections here. Are you saying they can or should be able to?
    we have been pointing out the legal obligations required of a uk dispensing chemist in order to be licensed as a dispensing chemist business. And this thread is about a uk chemist business.
    the uk has a social health system and dispensaries for want of a better description operate under a government licensed contract. If they don't have a drug in stock they must have a supply source where they can get it within a reasonable time, assuming there isn't another chemist nearby that has it in stock that they can direct the customer to

I stated earlier that I have no idea what each state requires here, although I am sure there are regulations that go against your free market stance.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast