Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • worth watching anything this geeky

5 22.73%
  • will be another let down but still worth watching

9 40.91%
  • stfu "manker option"

6 27.27%
  • don't bother you already know the story and will be critical of any changes.

1 4.55%
  • wtf are you talking about?

1 4.55%
  • there is no option 6

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Well spotted, it's my opinion based on the posts you've made. What else could it be.

I think that you don't like UK comedy in general, not because you're American but because you don't do subtlety very well.
    You don't have to actually be subtle to like subtlely.

"I don't get" where you have UK comedy as being subtle anyway.

It's mostly the accent.

I remember some fellas at a fight party were saying that Lennox Lewis was gay. I asked why do you say that and one of them said, "Listen to him." Idiots.

I guess a subtle difference would be soemthing like....
    American audiences of Fatal Attraction liked the original ending while European audiences liked the one where she killed herself.

We liked the thriller type ending but it didn't work overseas. This is at the time the movie was in theaters or should I say.....theatres.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think that one of your failings is that you don't always get it straight away if someone is being particularly subtle, it's just an opinion and everyone has certain failings - no big deal. I also think that UK comedy, on the whole, is far more subtle than US comedy.

Therefore I reckon you wouldn't like The Office but would laugh your arse off at Eddie Murphy (for example). Nothing to do with being American, it's just something I picked up on.

You may dispute the point, of course, by saying that in fact you do get it when people are being subtle but from where I sit - ya don't.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    I think that one of your failings is that you don't always get it straight away if someone is being particularly subtle, it's just an opinion and everyone has certain failings - no big deal. I also think that UK comedy, on the whole, is far more subtle than US comedy.

Therefore I reckon you wouldn't like The Office but would laugh your arse off at Eddie Murphy (for example). Nothing to do with being American, it's just something I picked up on.

You may dispute the point, of course, by saying that in fact you do get it when people are being subtle but from where I sit - ya don't.
    mmk. I wasn't looking for the I-Like-Subtlety-Award nor is it a failing.

On a whole, subtlely is

I will check out the Office though...one day. Have you seen Office Space btw?
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 06:30 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #24
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    mmk. I wasn't looking for the I-Like-Subtlety-Award nor is it a failing.

On a whole, subtlely is

I will check out the Office though...one day. Have you seen Office Space btw?
    Yup, it's one of my favourite films - I actually bought it

It's one of those films you can watch again and again and still laugh.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Yup, it's one of my favourite films - I actually bought it

It's one of those films you can watch again and again and still laugh.
    Is the The Office's humor similar?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #26
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Is the The Office's humor similar?
    There are some similarities in humor with work/character interactions but "the office" is a spoof fly on the wall / real life documentary setting....where the staff know the camera in on them and it caricatures how real people "play up to the camera" during their "15 minutes of fame" in this case the boss is the "over actor"

of the clips I have seen of the US remake the boss from the uk original has been replaced by Ace Venturer (the character, not jim carey)

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Oh yeah Eddie Izzard is the shit over here because he's subtle.

And he says Americans are humourless.
    Go figure.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilmiss
    And he says Americans are humourless.
    Go figure.
    ....because we think he's such a hit over here......

Go figure. (he dresses like a bitch ffs)

As a comedian, if I get up on stage, tell some jokes and no one laughs....it must be the audience' fault....

Go figure.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #29
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I'll probably watch it, but I honestly hope it doesn't do so well, cause if it does, we'll lose all the inside jokes & obscure references we make to it.
    and I grew up with it...I saw the old TV episodes when I was small, they came on PBS, I played the text-adventure on the commodore , and read all the books, repeatedly, from about age 13-18, and I can recite the opening paragraph from HHG2TG by heart

And I'm American

So I'll probably watch it just because, but I probably won't like it because of how familiar I am with the story, and the mutilation it will obviously take when converted to appeal to moviegoers.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I think it had something to do with the English humor. It is hard for an English comic to make it here and those that have all say that it's not easy to adjust.

That said i strongly believe that the powers that be in the entertainment industry don't give Americans credit for "getting it"
    Yeah, but "coupling" was using the same scripts a lot of the time, the only thing different was the actors.

I don't get why they had to make the American version, the american actors weren't even better looking than the britons.

So it has to be a problem with the accents or the lighting or something that made them make a new version.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast