Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No ethernet connection?

I replaced a crappy ECS mobo with a Abit 1c7-g and now I am wondering if this board has onboard ethernet. It has to right?

So I just got my computer back up and running after I installed a new motherboard. but when I went to plug in the Ethernet cable where it would go on the board was cover with a sticker. So I removed the sticker pluged in my ethernet cable with a live signal from my router and tried to get onto the Internet. No Such luck. I tried to create a network via my router and my other computer, and it tried to set it up using my 1394 device.

When I go to the screen that would normally list all of your connections, I only have one and that is my 1394 connection.

What gives?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you need to install the drivers for it. they will be included on the cd that came with the board, or you can download the latest drivers from the abit website.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Edit: Rossco beat me to it.

This time...
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 02-28-2005 at 01:44 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    or it may be disabled in the bios

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    That board has gigabit lan, winxp doesn't have native drivers for gigabit so you will definitely need the drivers from the cd and once you do that connect to their site and get all the updated drivers after, usually the drivers on the CD will be a revision or two off from the ones posted on the web site...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well I guess the good news is that I don't have to buy a LAN card.

but that bad news is that I have installed ever driver on the CD.

I guess I will have to search for the drivers on the web site on my other computer burn them to cd and install that way?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you sure you installed all of them from the cd? it must have the driver u need...

make sure it's enabled in the bios though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by healimonster
    When I go to the screen that would normally list all of your connections, I only have one and that is my 1394 connection.

What gives?
    Network Connections -> Network Tasks -> Create A New Connection -> Connect To The Internet -> Set Up My Connection Manually -> Connect Using A Broadband Connection That Is Always On

Windows won't just automatically transfer your old ethernet settings to your new card, so that's why you have to re-create your internet connection from scratch...

Quote Originally Posted by healimonster
    I tried to create a network via my router and my other computer, and it tried to set it up using my 1394 device.
    ...and if you're using the "Set Up A Home Or Small Office Network" option, that's the wrong option. it's "Connect To The Internet" etc etc.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 02-28-2005 at 05:05 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I think some how I actually need to buy a network card. The box had a sticker on it that said additional network adapter required. Kinda sad on a $120 board it doesn't even have on board Ethernet. I will be calling abit when they open to be sure, but I think this is the case.

Assuming I need to buy a network card, any suggestions?

What is the purpose of a gigabit card? thats nothing as a home user I can take advantage of, right?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Your motherboard has on-board lan, you just havn't got it setup right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast