Thread: Ares guides and tutorials..post them here

BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    I have not really found any GOOD links for this anywhere and thought we might get some input from you guys...

Please post any tips or tricks you think may benefit Ares users. Being a new user to this, I would appreciate your input, Im sure many others will benefit as well. Thanks!

**Hopefull we can get an ARES section started if we can make this a good thread. I posted below what I have found, but this is really about it.
    Last edited by BigDaddy555; 03-04-2005 at 08:31 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Q.I've paid for Ares, can I have a refund?

Ares is a 100% free program and we don't sell it nor we have authorized third parties to do that. You can download Ares for free at http://www.aresgalaxy.org.
    Update your bookmark for our website. www.aresgalaxy.org

Q.How do I share my files with other users?

Go to Library section, click on Preferences and chose to perform an autoscan, wait till the scan completes and select one or more folders to share, finally hit apply.

Q.Where do all my downloaded files go to?

You can choose the location of your downloaded files by going to "Ares Control Panel->Transfer->Download folder", the default download location is "C:\Program Files\Ares\My Shared Folder". Pay attention: Ares won't copy your previously downloaded files to the new folder if you change the location, also keep in mind that you have to restart Ares to apply new settings.

Q.Why do some things take so long to download?

The speed at which a download takes place is limited by both the bandwidth of the downloader and by the bandwidth of the uploader. A document cannot by transferred faster than the uploader is capable of sending it, nor can it be transferred faster than the downloader is capable of receiving it. To Maximise transfer speed chose search results having more than 2 yellow stars.

Q.What does Queued mean?

When the user who should send you a file is already sending files to others, you get a place in line. If you are willing to wait long enough, you will probably get the file.

Q.Does Ares have spyware?

Ares is 100% free but comes bundled with optional NavHelper software by NavExcel
    NavHelper is a browser object which allows to enter search keywords directly in the address bar of Internet Explorer. If you don't want to install it, just opt-out while you install Ares. If you have installed the browser object but you don't want it anymore, just go to control panel->add/remove programs, remove NavHelper and restart your computer.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    New Ares Fix
    February 25, 2005
    Thomas Mennecke

Over the course of the last few weeks, many have found it increasingly difficult to connect to the Ares Galaxy network. Alberto Treves, lead programmer from Ares, is actively working on the situation. Currently, the Ares Galaxy network is going through what could be categorized as "growing pains." Those using older versions of Ares are most affected by the current network situation.

Some recent third party fixes have been created in order to combat this problem, however Albert Treves advises against using such methods.

"[A] few enthusiastic users have came out with a 'connection fixer' program which at this very moment does quite the opposite it's expected to do (users are going to be permanently locked out, unless they get a new build at aresgalaxy.org.)"

Make sure you download the latest version of Ares from AresGalaxy.org before attempting the following fix.

In order to circumvent the temporary problems facing the Ares Galaxy network, Alberto has developed a small application that extracts addresses of valid nodes from clients that can connect to the network. Those who can connect to the Ares Galaxy network can use this program to create a hash link to share with other Ares users.

For those who cannot connect, simply click on the hash link. The link will then download working node addresses and hopefully allow the client to connect.

Individuals are already using this client and providing hash links of functioning nodes on the PeerRevolution.com forum (official Ares forum.)

4. File Sharing   -   #4

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    well...I guess that about covers it....not a lot of toys or tweaks