Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Settle The Download Speed Issue Once And For All

First off i want to say that i have a 56k modem and have been able to download consistantly at over 40k per second. all other people have said that 56 k can only download at 5-6k per second it is the other way around you can only upload at 5-6k p/s but can download almost as fast ass the other person can send it. It depends on the bandwith the higher the bandwith the faster the download. yesterday i was able to download the entire final destination 2 movie that was 300,000 k in about 2 hours. so if you have a 56k you can download just as fast as dsl or t1 as long as your downloading from a higher bandwith. So that should settle it I work for general dynamics and know alot on the subject so if you have questions or replies just post them.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    look likes you got a ggod thing there i got ntl 128 cable modem and can only get max download 15-19k/ps as this is what i am used to i got no real probs a movie like gangs of new york would take me 2 days by leaving it on all time

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BULLSHIT

Oh by the way i work 4 NASA

& thats BULLSHIT aswell

regards

VIRUS!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It depends

If the file has no data you will be able to get it alot faster

But 56k is over phone, so is dsl BUT if your on a 56k account your isp sends only 5-6kbs max, maybe 7

because thats all it can handle without being instable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah, my dial-up's fastest connection is just up to 26,400bps (bits per second)! The heck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Did any of you read what i justwrote? Especially the guy that called it bull shit. I said it depends on the bandwith. 88 bandwith is usualy you downloading from a 56k modem 100-150 is 128 150-250 dsl 300 and up is t1 please pay attention to that i guarentee you download from a higher bandwith you will get better download speeds
    AkitoTinkawa

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Hmm... good luck convincing people.

i guarentee you download from a higher bandwith you will get better download speeds
    True up to a point.

so if you have a 56k you can download just as fast as dsl or t1 as long as your downloading from a higher bandwith.
    Little bit sceptical about that one...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    hmm, I think you can only download depending on how fast the other side can upload, yes, but the date you download is limited to the connection your using, such as 56k. No way, you be able download faster then your 56k limited bandwith allows you too, unless your 56k modem is uncapped.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    This thread may be the biggest waste of bandwidth on this board. 56k can only download at speeds of up to 56kbps, actually less, but l'm not going to go into the specifics of it. The speed can fluctuate higher or lower, based on the source that you are downloading from.

If 56k were as fast as DSL or T1, then why would anyone spend the money for a broadband connection?
    Proud member of MDS

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Jibbler@5 April 2003 - 00:01
    If 56k were as fast as DSL or T1, then why would anyone spend the money for a broadband connection?
    That's right. akitotinkawa2, you seem to be exaggerating the 56k modem.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast