Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medal Of Honor: European Assault not "Dogs of War"

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Tongue

source: http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2.../592132p1.html

Medal of Honor: European Assault (PS2)

Formerly known as Medal of Honor Dogs of War -- a title that wasn't received well by the European press -- EA has changed its global strategy, renaming its latest MoH game to Medal of Honor European Assault. As its title implies, the game plants you in the European Theatre, where you'll take the role of young OSS agent William Holt (the OSS being the CIA's precursor organization) and see plenty of action. There you'll visit such locals as St. Nazaire, France, to various sites across Northern Africa where you'll (presumably) do battle with the famed 7th Panzer Division under the command of Nazi general Erwin Rommel. There will be 12 missions in all, but don't let that comparatively small number fool you; there is some definite bulk to the scenarios.

Rather than pushing you through linear levels, as all previous MoH games have done, European Assault seems to be designed with a more open-ended structure. At each mission's outset several paths will be available. Upon entering the field, for instance, you can choose to join your fellow soldiers in the neighboring fray, run across the map to destroy the anti-aircraft guns that are barely visible, or take a brisk jaunt through the environs to see what other opportunities will present themselves. Regardless of your choice, all the other events will continue to transpire; the battles will rage on and the AA-guns will continue to spew slugs. Much like in an RPG, you can tackle these "quests" at your leisure most of the time, and each mission will have a few bonus scenarios built into it. According to the EA reps conducting the demo, clearing them all will garner you some kind of bonus. Completists, rejoice!

The second key change European Assault makes over the staid MoH formula is the addition of rally mode. Not "rally" in terms of European motorsports, mind you, but "rally" in terms of "rally" your forces. Dale Dyer, the war guru that EA taps for maximizing MoH's legitimacy, has clued the team in to one key fact: that when you're in the thick of things (so to speak), your mind might have gone wandering due to stress and the external events around you. This, in turn, can trigger some crazy stuff in your body: splint-second reflexes allowing you to dodge bullets or superhuman strength that lets you to carry wounded allies to safety amidst the chaos of war. European Assault seems to translate this feeling of being "in the zone" in a most interesting way.

By "playing good" -- scoring head shots or gunning enemies down in uninterrupted chains -- a rally meter next to your health bar gradually fills up. Once the meter is full, you can switch on rally mode and proceed to raise hell. You'll be invulnerable to enemy attacks, you'll have infinite ammo, and everything will generally slow down, bullet-time style, while your own actions go down at a normal pace. It only lasts for a few seconds, but this is generally long enough for you to turn the tide of a scenario.

Last but not least, in the long laundry list of additions, are some light squad mechanics. Don't think anything as robust as Full Spectrum Warrior; the implementation here is more along the lines of a toned-down Rainbow Six 3. At this point, you point your reticle to a spot, press a button, and your squad moves to position. From there they'll automatically assume a safe formation, apply suppressive fire, and launch grenades as the situation warrants. Hitting back on the control pad will call them back to you. Nothing fancy, but definitely another tool in your arsenal.

Multiplayer comes into the equation, though not in a very big way. All versions of the game will support split-screen play for two-four players. No System Link is available, either. It's clear that EA is focusing on the single-player element this time around. Given how scattered Rising Sun turned out, this is probably for the best.

It's too early to tell if European Assault will redeem the series, but from this point there's definitely a whole lot of thought going into making its gameplay more compelling on a very basic level. One thing is for sure: EA it's going to have some stiff competition. We'll have more for you as soon as it becomes available.
    EA, always trying to please someone, geez. MOH is to played out, they should just leave the whole WWII thing alone, i mean, BiA wooped MoH's ass

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Games   -   #2
    bump

3. Games   -   #3
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    we need a change of scenery. maybe the falklands could have a mmorpg style game. bring something original

4. Games   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    gawd MoH is getting boring... i'm seriously pretty much done with WW2 lol, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Breakthrough, Spearhead, Paccific Assault, call of duty, call of duty united offensive, finest hour. can't we do a different war!?!?

5. Games   -   #5
    dont forget BiA.

as for the falklands, i don't think that's a great idea, it'd be boring....but it'd be 1 gazillion times more better than the whole WWII thing. i think they should do one on the war in the former Yugoslavia. now that'd be kickass, putting you in the role of a bosnian civillian who has to fight against those damned serbs, oh those serbs

6. Games   -   #6
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    but i never get bored of WWII, serioucly i enjoy each WWII game comes out... cant wait for BIA(PC)
    Last edited by bawa@Klite_user; 03-04-2005 at 12:36 PM.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

7. Games   -   #7
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    falklands is the most recent battle where the two teams were pretty much equal

8. Games   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bawa@Klite_user
    but i never get bored of WWII, serioucly i enjoy each WWII game comes out... cant wait for BIA(PC)

BiA for xbox is practically orgasmic (god that smiley r0x). PC version's gonna rock even more.

9. Games   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    BiA for xbox is practically orgasmic (god that smiley r0x). PC version's gonna rock even more.

Like i said in another thread don't expect a PC release of it onto the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Safedisc 3.3 (With all secruity sections turned up) and worse of all its on a DVD, meaning insted of having to crack a 4mb exe they have to crack 4gb of code. The only other game to have this protection was toca race driver and that never got a working release, not even a clone.

10. Games   -   #10
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    is it released yet? i think i might buy it today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast