Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do my deleted files go?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by kurse
    What about Sureclean? Doesn't that delete with 0's and 1's? So how do actually format my hard drive? Is it safe?

Formating your harddrive will wipe out all your files . You'd have to install everything again .

Sorry kurse , you want to clean up deleted files right? Formating is a different animal . Most of the programs like sureclean ,I'v tryed seem to work without problems. Try a regcleaning program instead , you'll get better results , something you can see.
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-05-2005 at 01:38 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Formating your harddrive will wipe out all your files . You'd have to install everything again . ...
    Data will still remain even after a format. better use a disk wipping tool.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001
    Data will still remain even after a format. better use a disk wipping tool.
    Yes your right Ariel, I was worried with my post that Kusre would think that formatting a harddrive would not have consquences . Thats all I meant . I find that I'm talking apples and their talking oranges . Better safe than sorry I guess.
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-05-2005 at 03:52 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    wiping your freespace will overwrite the deleted files as many times as u want with steganos security suite and should be ok if your keeping the drive as even after being wrote over windows will also keep writing over it again but if your getting rid of your hard drive safest way would be to delete as much stuff as u can then run the freespace wiper then download Killdisk and format your hard drive with it, you just extract to a floppy and set your pc to boot up from floppy it will then give u instructions to which drive to wipe and let it go voila clean HD.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    If im correct Windows washer is good at deleting shit out of ur bin and other places of course and put some code after the delete so it cant be retrieved.

Im gussing after time it will totaly disapear.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    another quick point before wiping your freespace is to make sure u empty your restore points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12