Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just found out that I need surgery.

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Dont worry about it, it is quite common. This time next week you will be laughing about it.
    I agree that it is not worth alot of worry, Boab, but laughing?

Next week?

Don't bet on that.

Take 'er easy, Rip-don't push it.

You'll be fine, but don't go bowling for, oh....six weeks or so...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}

I always thought Hernia had something todo with your back.. hmm maybe the Dutch word 'hernia' means something else.

herniated disc?

"To herniate" simply means to bulge beyong ones' normal confines. Whether it be a disc or bowel, both can herniate.

Don't worry Rip.

The surgery itself holds almost no risk. It is just the putting you to sleep which is the scary part, for you. But that is just in your head, this is about as routine a surgery as you can get.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    @j2k4
    Damn six weeks is a long time. I'm going to ask if its safe for me to go back to work after a few days, as long as I don't do any lifting from now on.

@hobbes
    I'm just worried about not being put to sleep. One doctor said they might just make my groin area numb, and do the surgery with me lying down awake and looking up. I don't want that, I'd perfer being put to sleep, surgeries make me queezy.
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 03-06-2005 at 03:25 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    Yup...Hernias suck big ass...ive had 2!!!

When I was about 7 I has my 1st one on the left side, by the time I was 13 it had burst out of the right, I have symetrical scars.

Im still live and kicking though and im sure u will be soon. Good luck with the op

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    @j2k4
    Damn six weeks is a long time. I'm going to ask if its safe for me to go back to work after a few days, as long as I don't do any lifting from now on.

@hobbes
    I'm just worried about not being put to sleep. One doctor said they might just make my groin area numb, and do the surgery with me lying down awake and looking up. I don't want that, I'd perfer being put to sleep, surgeries make me queezy.
    Drugs are good hmmkay.

Instead of risking your life with intubation, they can numb your skin and give a drug called a sedative-hypnotic. This drug will cause your mind to view what is happening to your body as an indifferent event. You will "feel" like you are someone who is watching a surgery, not someone who is having it. When they are done, you will generally forget the whole event.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    @Expire
    Thanks alot.
    You've had 2 Hernia's? Just one is killing me, I hope it never comes back.

@hobbes
    Sounds fun. As long as I'm drugged and don't know whats going on, I guess its ok. This will be my first scar.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Get better soon.
    My aunt has a hernia, it's scary stuff.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    my dad just had surgery done because he had a hernia last week. but even now its still hurting him, and yesterday the doctor said he got infected or something like that, so my dad is all pissed cause he thinks the doctors messed up or something..which im not sure if they did or not..but yeh, it sucks, hes in a lot of pain.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    lol pwned. My science teacher said a hernia is pretty much when ur inside is like ripped and ur guts are trying to get out

10. Lounge   -   #20
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    So this kind of thing really is common?

Wow thanks you guys, I'll try not to worry too much about it.
    Two of my nephews have had the operation in the last year. Both football players. As someone said if it is not too painful they just let you live with it.

Best of luck with the op.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast