Thread: help ABC stuck on red torrents

Poster
    i am trying to put abc on at a friends house and i had abc working okish but they were stuck on yellow, know they are stuck on red, my ports are min 6000 max 7000, i`ve got norton internet sucurity on but i the fire is configered to let it work, what do i do????
    also i`ve got 2.6.1 because i`ve found it faster then the new one, or would it be better to change cliant???
    Last edited by hondarvf400; 03-06-2005 at 11:19 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    you are using 2 many ports. try 1200 to 1210

does he has a router?

also were did you get your torrents from? maybe the trackers isnt online.
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 03-06-2005 at 11:49 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    ok no router, and we are using torrentspy, its working fine at my house but for the life of me could not get it to work at her house???

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kenmo's Avatar n00b
    Are both you & friend using the same ISP? Maybe the port range is being blocked by the friend's ISP. Try a higher range...

Many people recommend using ports >49152 I've been on at least one tracker that wouldn't serve you if you used a lower port #

As {I}{K}{E} implies, a port range wider than 10 ports is a waste, not to mention a security risk. With ABC you need one port per torrent you have active.

Now if you have all torrents "yellow", it means no one can connect to you. If you have no router, then the blockage is either with the ISP or in the computer. You didn't mention your O/S... is it XP? Maybe the XP firewall is active... you certainly don't need it to be if you're using the Norton one, so disable it. It's a process of elimination...

You could try disabling all firewalling temporarily to see if the problem goes away... that would confirm whether it's a firewall issue. But *only* if you are *completely* up to date with the security patches for your version of Windows, otherwise, on a broadband connection, it's instant virus-ville :crying:

One more thing, what is ABC saying in the error column (last column of torrent display), if anything?

A couple of useful resources if you don't already know about them:

Dealing with firewalls:

http://portforward.com/

Testing your BT connection:

http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

I hope some of this helped
    Last edited by kenmo; 03-08-2005 at 07:19 AM.