Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting notebook to pc

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I'm totally noobed up on networking pc's so where do I start connecting my work laptop to my home desktop? The home pc has lan and wifi and various connections usb, fire wire and I think the laptop has all the same stuff so where do I start? I'll get off on the right path in here before I start shopping

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    if both have Windows XP i think it's as simple as plugging them together with a crossover cable, unless i'm forgetting some vital steps
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yup pretty much just that but you should run the network setup wizard, make sure both computer have a different computer name and both are on the same workgroup (these are in the wizard).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    So whats the lan all about then do I need to add some hardware to use it or do I need to just activate it in someway? which connections do I connect them together with the firewire? and 1 more thing will I be able to use my pcs internet connection or have to set up my broadband modem onto the laptop and use the same connection setting as my desktop?

I was'nt joking about the noobness eh thanks so far guys.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    does the router plug in by usb or ethernet? (ethernet looks like a slgihtly larger phone jack plug).
    If it's etherent then you will need to buy a router (or a wireless router) if you want the internet connection on both computers.
    If it's USB i'm not sure how but I think you can share the connection with the other computer.

Your using network/lan cards, not firewire.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    If they've both got wifi, you just need to make sure they are both set to use ad-hoc connection (and identical wep encryption if you've set that up) and they should be able to talk to each other, no extra equipment needed.

If one or both isn't wifi enabled then you need to connect them via the ethernet ports. If there will only ever be the 2 PCs you can simply get a cross-over cable and connect them together.

In either of those situations you need to set up ICS on the home PC and tell the laptop to connect via that - easy.

If you want to connect more than 2 PC's together or you want the laptop to be able to connect to the internet without switching on the home PC you would be best advised to get a combined modem/router, and consider a wireless one if any of your equipment supports it (or may do in the near future).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    My desktop has wifi because I can remember seeing it on the box when I fitted the board although it meant nothing to me at the time My notebook also says wifi certified on a sticker on the back but how do I enable it?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    A little info about make/model would be useful (both desktop & laptop).

I would have expected the drivers to be installed already, but needing config. Some types have their own config software, others simply use windows wireless zero configuration setup. I can tell you how to do it with the Asus wifi setup prog, but it's been a while since I've used the built in windows one.

As it happens though, I will probably be doing exactly that tomorrow so I can probably advise you after that, assuming that's what you need. Someone else can probably tell you before that though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Looks Like im luck lol My boards an asus a78nxe-deluxe and my laptops an acer 1670 aspire so any advice on setting up the wifi on an asus board would be a great help
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 03-09-2005 at 10:23 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Doh looks I've just realised that even though I have a wifi board I still need an antenna to go with it so I reckon I'm back to ethernet cable or usb, still not sure how the lan works though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast