Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error: Generic Host for Win32?

I'm not sure if this is bittorrent or just P2P related, but ever since I've been using Shareaza and/or Azureus I occasionally get this message (usually after 24-48 hrs fo constant online usage.) I've done cleanups for spyware and virus checks, even error checks, but nothing seems to help.

When I get the message, my internet connection cuts. The internet connection icon stays on, but w/ no signal to or from my PC (my ADSL modem also shows no activity.) If I try to disconnect or shutdown my connection, nothing happens. I can't even get my connection window to open. I have to restart my PC in order to get back online. Then everything is fine until it happens again. Any clues as to why this is happening and how to remedy it? Thanks.

I'm using Windows XP Home Ed. and high speed ADSL connection.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Has no one had this happen to them? I called my provider and they were no help what so ever.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is a legit service from MS.
    I think Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is a transport for dns queries (among other things)
    Your internet connection may not work if you don't allow it (i think it depends on your connection).
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I'm not sure where that quote came from, but my problem isn't allowing on not allowing it. I assume it's always running. I think that's the program that runs my internet connection. What happens is I get an error message and it cuts off my connection to the internet. After doing so, I can't access my conection until I restart/ reboot my PC again. Then everything is fine until it happens again. Then I repeat the process. It's just that it's a pain in the ass when I'm DLing something over night, and I wake up to this message, and what should've DLed by that time is only part way done. Any ideas?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    maybe you have zone alarm installed and the svchost cant get acces to the internet, so it dies. I do believe it is part of winXP, and if you stop it from access, the net connect dies. I think it has something to do with DNS.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I don't have ZA. I used to a long time ago, but it's been thoroughly uninstalled. I do still have some remnants of Peer guardian and their IP blocker on my PC that are too much of a pain to remove so I've left them there... but like I said. I never notice it unless I've been online for days.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Can I just point out that you haven't actually said what the error message is.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Well I'll just point out that that's all it says:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error! Click details for more info.

then:
    Error
    szAppName: szAppVer:0.0.0.0
    szModName:unknown
    szModVer:0.0.0.0
    offset:00000000

...and that's all. It doesn't give me anymore info. It does say that I can report the error over the internet, but that's impossible b/c this error cuts my connection. I have to restart my PC in order to connect to the internet again and by that time the message is gone and so is the problem (until I'm on the internet for a long, long time again.)

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    It happened 3 times today! Don't know what's up, but it seems to happen when using a lot of bandwidth (seeding, DLing, email open, and surfing net.)

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i have seen some mention of soundblaster pci card drivers causing the error also. Ill post some more possibilities once i finish reading some of the solutions i have come across. I am also seeing mention of this error with visioneer usb scanner drivers as well.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 03-22-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast