Thread: A good DVD player with strong DVD -R support and Glitch prevention?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well, my current Panosonic DVD Player is about 3 years old and it screws up on new DVDs sometimes. It fails miserably on copied dvd -r movies. I'm looking for a superb laser strength player, so it can definitely read my dvd -r movies for my tv. I have a DVD- RW drive on my pc that plays the DVD -R copied movies flawlessly. They are good disks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I bought one of the lowest priced units I could find: http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/prodde...&linenumber=71

I have had it for about 10 months now. No problems reading DVD-R. The tray sometimes closes unexpectedly when I'm about to put a disc in. A minor problem considering the price (about $50 CDN).
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 03-11-2005 at 04:39 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    The Philips DVP642 has just about the best write-up I've seen, it seems to play just about everything. It also plays MPEG4 and Divx recordings.

The problem is, it is so popular you may have trouble finding one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What brand of DVD -r are you guys using? I believe I got suckered when I bought my 100 pack of Unifino brand DVD -R. They give skips on all my dvd players about halfway into the movie on all my dvd players here (even the new ps2), but they play fine on my PC's Sony DRU510A DVD Drive. Always skipping 3-4 times during the middle of each movie.. even when I gave em a good cleaning with a new cd cleaner-n-fluid.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I use a generic 4X DVD-R (YiJhan/Matrix). 50 pack spindle for $9.99 CDN.

So that's $0.20 each.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I always have a good chuckle when I read threads like this.How do know you had a good quality burn.People buy cheap media and expect great results.Lets all run out and and buy a sports car with lousy tires,and expect the car to drive great....Have a look at this thread to see if your burn is up to snuff http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96285

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    My experience has been that cheap or expensive, they all can fail.

But I feel that some media burns better than others and the main variable is the speed that is chosen. Maybe it's because cheap media is more apt to have errors when burning at faster speeds.

While this is strictly an opinion, I can say that any problems I've had with blank media have been solved by changing/lowering the burn speed.

And, it's reasonable to state users tend to choose the fastest speed possible 'cause it's in our nature to want everything right away.

my .02¢

Oh, and I've got the above mentioned Philips DVD player. Dollar for dollar it's the best value on the market. (Walmart, $70US)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I also have the dvp642,I would compare it to a really hot looking women that your dating.After awhile you start to find things to complain about but your not going to get much better lol (especially for the price).Only complaints about the 642 a). slow rew/fwd b).has conflicts with subs. viewing sometimes c).no Qpal support d).upon philips releasing new firmware they don't really tell you what changes have occured...O-well guess I will have to live with this great machine as is.....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Toshiba SD-340E