Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast

Thread: forgetting your roots

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Busy get off the spanish language. IT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE

on the second post about them not having to learn English i will say again that schools will teach both so in a generation nearly the whole country would speak BOTH...not one or the other. there would not be spanish only school or english only schools
    Why should I get off the Spanish language if it is just an example.

Seems like a damn good one since IT ACTUALLY APPLIES HERE.

Schools teach what the student elects to learn. For example I took 3 years of French in high school because that's what I picked. Some learned Spanish, some German.

You haven't given a reason why we should go dual language. Saying that we may get left behind is a crap reason. There are countries that have dual official languages and neither are widely used in the global marketplace.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-24-2005 at 02:38 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #162
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Busy get off the spanish language. IT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE

on the second post about them not having to learn English i will say again that schools will teach both so in a generation nearly the whole country would speak BOTH...not one or the other. there would not be spanish only school or english only schools
    And this a benefit how?
    Being multilingual is a luxury we can indulge when our students can compete in science, math and other technical areas.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #163
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    And this a benefit how?
    Being multilingual is a luxury we can indulge when our students can compete in science, math and other technical areas.
    Good point.

I liked French aiiight and everything but I loved Calculus in comparison. Going far French might have got me a good job as a translator.

However if was good at both, I could have been a French mathmetician...uh sort of.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-24-2005 at 02:51 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #164
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    And this a benefit how?
    How is it a hindrance?

As to education standards should we reduce ourselves to the lowest denominator? Our education system could be improved that goes without saying. My 17 year old is in the gifted program and he still finds he has time to fill during the day. Surely the idea would be to make school more challenging to pupils not easier.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #165
    How is it a hindrance?

As to education standards should we reduce ourselves to the lowest denominator? Our education system could be improved that goes without saying. My 17 year old is in the gifted program and he still finds he has time to fill during the day. Surely the idea would be to make school more challenging to pupils not easier.
    Seems like we have multilinguals without having a second official language though don't we?

I too was in gifted programs since elementary school yet played sports, made music blahblahblah. Even when I was in a Science and Technology high school we had to take more years of foreign language than "the rest".

You still have not put forth a rationale behind a second official language here.

I get the point that being multilingual begets a more well rounded individual.

I have layed out a focus of study that involves science, mathematics, language and music because that's what made me more well rounded.

However, a second official language doesn't really accomplish this. First there is the question..What language?

It's almost like me having to learn to play official musical instrument. I learned 4 because of what I was interested in. What if I was forced to learn the sitar?

I would be popular in...India.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-24-2005 at 04:10 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #166
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

You still have not put forth a rationale behind a second official language here.
    Because you don't agree with it...that doesn't mean I haven't.

You still haven't put forward a reason why it would be a hindrance. All you've said is people won't learn something unless they have to.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #167
    Because you don't agree with it...that doesn't mean I haven't.

You still haven't put forward a reason why it would be a hindrance. All you've said is people won't learn something unless they have to.
    Show me where I've said that.

And no you haven't.

What language and why? (since Spanish was just an example)

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #168
    How is it a hindrance?

As far as the industrial nations go Vid, the US already is the lowest common demoninator.
    Having failed to adequately keep pace in the Three R's, you propose that we can afford to become more well rounded by adding language requirements?

Don't get me wrong, I took six years of Latin (Gaulia est divisa in tres partes...or something like that) and it was a tremendous benefit to my appreciation of and (somewhat debatable) grasp of English, but I was a product of an earlier system which also demanded mastery of more pedestrian (read:useful) skills.
    That system is long gone, replaced ( for various reasons- I know J2 has some definite thoughts about that) by a carebear, feel-good, pamper 'em and pass 'em joke.
    After that is fixed, by all means bring on the language requirements.
    Last edited by clocker; 03-24-2005 at 05:24 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #169
    As far as the industrial nations go Vid, the US already is the lowest common demoninator.
    I disagree.

We fail up through high-school but easily surpass in college (even the Japanese).

That's why everyone (including Middle Easterns) wants to send their kids to college here.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #170
    How is that possible?
    The elite Indian students consider US colleges as fallback options and I suspect that Middle East parents like their kids to come here to sow their wild oats without fear of retribution from Islamic law.