Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: forgetting your roots

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    American English is not English.
    Oxymoron.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Oxymoron.
    Good point

Busyman's distinct lack of logic must be affecting me
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Not so.

An accent does not encompass different spelling. Vid is right, American English is not English.
    Theater or theatre...big deal.

No one was talking about spelling except you.

We speak English.

wanker logic....an oxymoron.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-18-2005 at 08:46 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You just said talking when you meant writing. Ironic that, as it partially disproves your point.

The two are inextricably linked. If you spoke English then everytime you wrote something you'd spell it in English.

Spelling is not the only difference between American English and English, there are also totally different words for things. Like lemonade. (also; trunk/boot, hood/bonnet)

Prepositions are different, I'm on a team/I'm in a team.

Loads of other stuff too, I shouldn't wonder.

You don't speak English, muthafucka.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This brings back memories of UKMan. He once typed a message with an English accent. He typed lock instead of loch.

Wonder how he is getting on?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    You just said talking when you meant writing. Ironic that, as it partially disproves your point.

The two are inextricably linked. If you spoke English then everytime you wrote something you'd spell it in English.

Spelling is not the only difference between American English and English, there are also totally different words for things. Like lemonade. (also; trunk/boot, hood/bonnet)

Prepositions are different, I'm on a team/I'm in a team.

Loads of other stuff too, I shouldn't wonder.

You don't speak English, muthafucka.
    My use of the word talking was on purpose hence the italics whether it was written or not.

You wanted to point out vid was right about something that he didn't bring up.

The spoken word versus the written.

I could ask a Georgian in America to write something down and I get it but if he tells me out loud then I might not understand it.

Accents. What you point out exists in your own country and all over Europe ffs.

We all speak English....bitch ass nitpicker.

Did you understand that or should I send voicemail?
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-18-2005 at 09:11 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    My use of the word talking was on purpose hence the italics whether it was written or not.

You wanted to point out vid was right about something that he didn't bring up.

The spoken word versus the written.

I could ask a Georgian in America to write something down and I get it but if he tells me out loud then I might not understand it.

Accents. What you point out exists in your own country and all over Europe ffs.

We all speak English....bitch ass nitpicker.

Did you understand that or should I send voicemail?
    Who knows where you're going with the rest of the irrelevance but what I point out only exists in colloquialisms in the UK, not in the dictionary.

I call a sink a bosh, but that isn't in the dictionary. You call a boot a trunk and it's in the American-English dictionary.

That's the point. You officially don't speak English.

Sorry to break it to you so bluntly, old chap.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    No busy you speak a variation of English. You also write a variatation of English. As I said the difference is very small, often unoticable.....but there is a difference.

There is an old saying about two countries separated by a common language.... It wasn't said without justification

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I was fixing it as you posted.

What do you think on the subject though? (It would be nice to get more American views)

For myself, Vidcc, I am fascinated with other languages. The only other language I know other than my American/English is sign language. I find myself having to force my hands to my sides when around those speaking other languages, because it is the sign language that I try first to communicate with them with. I have read with interest the American/English discussion in the rest of this thread and wanted to share with you that it is no different in sign language. In learning sign language, my step son's education seem to vary year by year. One year they would try to teach him Standard English Sign Language. The next year American Sign Language. Back and forth we went. The amazing thing that transpired with my strong willed step son was that even though he learned and knows both now, if you really want to communicate with him, you have to learn Joshua's Sign Language...........kind of his own language, which turned out to be his favorites of both languages.

Does this boy and his father have a point (with the reasons he gave) or do you think I have one?

I pity this boy and his father, and it is their loss, by the way. Why do people limit their world so? This was Foreign National Language Week, a time to learn and grow. They chose to stagnate.

Even if you believe this boy has a point should he get away with boycotting school?
    If the boy chooses to not attend school, school policy should be enforced, regardless of his reasons. He made the choice knowing school policy.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I call a sink a bosh, but that isn't in the dictionary.
    Yes it is. In your statement it would come under the Trough definition of Bosh.

Websters Third International Dictionary.Volume 1.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast