Thread: Generic Host Process Problem.

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Whenever I start Windows, i get an error upon loading. The window looks like the one that comes up whenever any program crashes, but this one says:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close. I looked at the error report and this is what it says in the error signature

szAPPName : svhost.exe
    szAppVer : 0.0.0.0
    szModName : unknown
    szModVer : 0.0.0.0
    offset : 00000000

I send the error report to microsoft then close the window, and windows runs fine. I don't notice any problems, but I know that process is an integral part of windows, so I thought I should find out about it. Anyone know whats going on? I have symantec corporate thats always running so i doubt its a virus.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Boy I see what you mean . I searched Ms data base and support. That was a laff.! Googled and found many people with the same problem. Some have encountered after a win sp2 update, some have a hp printer or scanner driver problem. Funny thing is there is more help in the forums than Microsoft support pages.

Heres what I mean :

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Generi...S:ohmy:fficial

One thing was common most had the same error message as you . All had scanned for virus and spyware. A few had posted hijackthis logs aswell. Good hunting hope you fix it.
    Reason for edit: New reading glasses , they suck. As if my spelling was n't bad enought .
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-17-2005 at 04:21 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    what the hell?
    wolfmight was having the same problem
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t92474-.html

never seen a solution to it though....
    the link's just for proof that i'm not totally full of shit

PM wolfmight & see if he figured it out yet
    maybe you two can find some similarity in your setups,
    services, installed/running apps...or something

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Forgot about wolfmight's post . Ya a strange one . Not a lot to go on, Witch is weird , must be frustrating . Microsoft support sucks the big one. Makes one wonder is it spyware or the win update ?

@FKDUP74, We'll find out they both have a HP printer or something ! OH if it was so easy tho Eh? I hope they both post their fix tho . If was me I'd format and be done with it . But thats the easy way ., Not one I recomend, sometimes its not an option .But I have no patience !
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-17-2005 at 05:54 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    A post got deleted with the board upgrade . It was about the spelling of svhost.exe . Can't remember who it was tho. Might change this whole thread. I laffed when I read it .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Hello!

My post got deleted in this thread so I guess I have to re-do it all over again!

I had never sen anyone before having this problem but a few days ago I got the same message when I booted my computer that has Windows XP SP2 installed. But it happened only once and I have no problems right now and I hope it will stay that way!. But now suddenly I see more people across the Internet having the same issue so I thought that maybe it have something to do with some update from Microsoft that relates to the svchost.exe and one of its processes that deals with DNS queries and it seems that in late February or early March Microsoft released a update called HTTP.sys that is supposed to fix some bugs with some Antivirus and Firewalls causing intermittent system hangs. But maybe it is causing more bugs instead(I have NAV 2004 Professional) and I noticed during boot that the error showed up exactly at the same time as the NAV icon was loading in the system tray so maybe there is a connection there. Go to Windows Update site trough the Security center in SP2 and click the link Previous Installations on that site and see if you have installed the following update HTTP.sys update number KB887742.

If you have it try to uninstall it by the Add/Remove Control panel and see if it helps!!.

If you dont have it then I dont know what might be causing this problem!!.
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; 03-18-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Sincerely Joakim Agren&#33;