Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs Mac

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Most of us pay very little attention to Apple.
    Prolly with good reason as it turns out.

Even though I know next to nothing about them, I was always told ( and believed) that they were superior at a couple of things, primarily video/graphics.
    A few days ago I read that the latest Star Wars film had been produced on AMD a64 based systems (it's an entirely digital production), which I found somewhat surprising.
    This morning I saw this.

Now I wonder why anyone would want a Mac at all.
    I always feel sorry for the few Mac owners who straggle into the shop where I work (we don't do anything with Apples)...they are so convinced of their machine's superiority, despite the almost total lack of aftermarket support and their miniscule market share.
    Furthermore, Macs have begun to be plagued with virii/malware- a situation familiar to PC users, but very confusing to Apple folk. They assumed they were impervious and their protection options are quite limited.

There is an Apple Store near me and I have checked them out...the G5 is undeniably pretty and technically interesting (particularly the cooling setup), but sheesh, they are expensive and, as it turns out, not terribly effective.

Right after Christmas a man came in to the shop and asked if we worked on Macs. "No", said I, "and I don't know anyone who does."
    "Crap", says he, "do you want it?"
    I told him we didn't buy Macs either.
    He GAVE it to us.
    Brand new ( his kids had given it to him for Christmas), the machine was in mint condition, and he was so frustrated after the few days he had it that he just gave it away.
    We bumped around on it for a few days (OS X, Panther?) which was interesting, then donated it to a local church.
    Now we occasionally get calls from them asking for help ( of course, to be fair, they would prolly have issues with a regular PC too...), help we can't provide.

I'm mystified why anyone would saddle themselves with such a lemon.

Mac owners...discuss.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Trying to stir it up huh. Too bad there's nobody to respond. lol.

I personally couldn't see past the price issue. Never considered the support part. I built my state of the art computer (tower only) about 15mos. ago for $500. I guess Mac wise I saved a couple thousand.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    well... um... OSX is simple, stable, and pretty. and Apple's Production Suite (Final Cut Pro, etc) is a big selling point now... basically you can get reasonably professional A/V editing & dvd-authoring quality for a much lower price than what "true" professional suites cost. and it runs on an off-the-shelf consumer-quality computer without special hardware requirements. that's pretty appealing to small A/V companies working on a tight budget, or amateur enthusiasts who are looking for an affordable entry-level-ish professional suite.

other than that, yeah, Macs, eh. as personal computers for websurfing, mp3-listening, game-playing, composing memos, doing your taxes... they're overpriced, the selection of third-party software sucks, adding new internal parts is an expensive pain-in-the-ass, etc etc.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 03-18-2005 at 03:34 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    This morning I saw this.
    funny, the Boxx dual Opteron workstation keeps up with em pretty much
    (save for the cinebench & HDD write speeds)
    for about 2000 bucks less

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Well, take a look at Bently and Rolls Royce... some of the most expensive and luxurios cars in the world. Are they the fastest? No. Are they the most powerful? No. Are they best suited for everyday use? No. Are they a good value? Hell no! But they scream class like no other. The same can be said about Apple.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    there's only 2 good things i know about mac, They are invunerable to virus and invunerable to spyware.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I don't know anything about Mac's, but I have used them. I really like OSX's looks, all the icons are sleek, and window effects are neat.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I mentioned this post in passing ,to a workmate who has a mac. He just about had a stroke ! I'm such a stinker.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    PC are better, Remember PC does not equals windows (We are talking about a Personal Computer here, right?) and there are viruses and spyware for mac. There are going cross platform now.
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 03-19-2005 at 03:51 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    there's only 2 good things i know about mac, They are invunerable to virus and invunerable to spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Furthermore, Macs have begun to be plagued with virii/malware- a situation familiar to PC users, but very confusing to Apple folk. They assumed they were impervious and their protection options are quite limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernatural
    But they scream class like no other. The same can be said about Apple.
    what it screams to me is...more money than brains
    Last edited by FKDUP74; 03-19-2005 at 04:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast