Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Senate Hearing On Steroids

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Unless proven they used steroids, Mark McGwire and Barry Bond's records should stand...with no asterisk.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-19-2005 at 04:27 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    B – Bonds admitted to taking steroids during his grad jury testimony. He said he took them but he didn’t know what he was taking. Give me a break. He starts using these magic creams and all of a sudden he bulks up like the incredible hulk and he never once gets suspicious.

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why woud the Senate Hearing go on to Steroids? I did not think they raced around the house or did a lot of lifting.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Apart from the grand-standing going on, the whole thing smacks of the great philosophical divide between those who do and those who don't.

I'm betting they didn't all share a cab, drink or a meal after the blessed event.

By my count, the empaneled players constituted (with the exception of Curt Schilling, who has his own delusional thought-processes) a group of liars and evaders, nothing more or less.

A total non-event, from a practical point-of-view.

The first (and only) step the Senate should take would be to remove Major-League baseball's anti-trust exemption and let the chips fall where they may.

To do this would not require hearings, face-time & photo-ops, public keel-hauling, Jose Canseco, or that over-used and rickety grand-stand.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Geeez J2 next time tell us how you really feel

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    A.) I'm at a total loss as to why Congress is investigating this, do they even have any standing/authority to DO anything?
    It's obviously just grandstanding ( much like their intervention into the Florida breathing tube fiasco- the sight of Tom Delay talking about the "ethics" of that sad situation was beyond ironic), and it's irritating that this diversion is wasting the time/energy of an already febrile group.

B.) The stain on baseball's reputation is clearly the fault of the Commissioner's office.
    Trying to boost baseball's flagging revenue/fan base lead to ignoring the obvious abuses taking place. The fact that McGwire's records might stand is an insult to any legit player's efforts- his abuse can't be proven because MLB leadership has actively resisted TRYING to monitor and prevent such abuse.

Fortunately, I'm not a fan of the game, but I sympathize with those who are.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Fortunately, I'm not a fan of the game, but I sympathize with those who are.
    I'm a fan of the game, but not the league (anymore).

As far as congress is concerned, I guess their "buy-in" to the debate is the anti-trust exemption they granted Major-League baseball way back when.

Too bad they probably won't think to even brandish their "weapon"; I'm sure they'll all have complementary loges at the local park so they can watch the new team, huh?

Hank-

Where had you got off to?

Good to see you back.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    The way I see it, steroids end the competition element of the sport. The team with the best meds win, turning it into a science experiment. I guess the team doctors get to compete against each other but the players are the equivalent of lab rats.
    F1 suffers from the same problem in part.

Part of Michael Schumacher's winning is due to him, but part of it is also due to Ferrari having the best car within limits that money and R&D can buy. It's a bit sad, as it takes part of the attention away from who is the best driver to who can handle the best car.

Personally, I'd love to see all drivers just having the exact same car and seeing who can drive it the best - My guess is that a few lower-ranked teams (who don't have Ferrari's F1 budget) could give Schumacher a run for his money. Still, I get some pleasure back from the rumours that every race Ferrari wins, ol' Bernie bangs his head as F1 becomes more tedious

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    What kills me is the argument that, for example, in the case of Barry Bonds, "steroids don't improve your eyesight or reactions; it's still "him" hitting the ball..."

Pure, unadulterated bullshit.

When I played ball, I was a pretty good hitter, and the only guys who had better averages were the ones who more dedicated work-out rats, 'cuz (and this is certainly no secret; never has been) everyone knew bat-speed was the secret to getting to/reaching pitches on the edges, curves, knuckleballs, etc.

To alter your swing in the blink-of-an-eye requires strength, and the stronger specimens can "reach" more pitches while maintaining bat-speed.

Good eyes and reactions are every player's stock-in-trade, and anything that allows strength to be built easily (steroids) also allows more time to be spent in the cage swinging a bat.

The fact of the matter is that the parents who attended the hearing having lost children who were emulating big-leaguers will not ultimately sway the players; what will, however, is a player choosing to suffer the ravages of steroid use publicly.

Line 'em all up for testicle portraits and publish that.

-Mark Twain

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I'm a fan of the game, but not the league (anymore).
    unfortunately, i may be about to take the same stand as you j
    i love the game, played it for about 10 yrs,
    watched it for about 20+ years,
    and what the Player's Assosciation & the commissioner have let happen...
    is just sickening IMO

only good thing i can see so far....
    i havent seen any of the Angels' players implicated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast