Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senate Hearing On Steroids

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Anyone else see it?

Most of the players denied every using steroids with the exception of Mark McGwire. McGwire looked terrible and didn’t want to answer to questions about his past. He looked like he was going to break down while reading his prepared statement.

What major league and minor league players do doesn’t concern me at, it’s the young athletes who want to emulate what their favorite players do which worries me. Recently on ESPN they interviewed the father of a high school baseball player who was taking steroids and when asked why he said because Barry Bonds does it. That’s a major problem and Bonds doesn’t think it’s that big of a deal. I don’t think there is enough talk about the long term affects steroids has on your body.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Steroids appear to cause psychological as well as physical changes. A disproportionate amount of murders are carried out by steroid users.

They also do funny things to women and they also do strange things to muscles that a normally fit person wouldn't be interested in (i.e muscular faces, eyebrows etc.,) People that use them have a tendancy to look like cartoon strongmen.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I don't know why we have this hearing taking place when there are other government issues at hand. We have laws about drug use...ENFORCE THEM... stop seeking the limelight.

To the father that complained about his son emulating the players. I saw his statement and he seemed to blame everyone except himself and his son. He is the boys father...not the players.

edit:

Aw crap i posted on a sports issue
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-18-2005 at 06:02 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    These Senate hearings are bullshit just bandwagoning on public opinion.

There's already an investigation involving BALCO.

This is congressional face-time crap.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank
    What major league and minor league players do doesn’t concern me
    Now you see, this attitude I can't understand. I'm sorry if I've taken it out of context a bit (you compared it with influencing kids) but presumably you're a baseball fan, given that how can you not be concerned with what the players do wrt performance enhancing drugs.

The way I see it, steroids end the competition element of the sport. The team with the best meds win, turning it into a science experiment. I guess the team doctors get to compete against each other but the players are the equivalent of lab rats.

When I was really young, I enjoyed athletics and was pretty excited for the Seoul Olympics and the 100 metres in particular. When Johnston was stripped of the medal it completely switched me off the sport, the gold transferred to Lewis meant little to me as a spectator and I imagine that it didn't mean that much to him, either. I hardly watch athletics now.

I don't understand how anyone can get excited about a sport where drug taking is practically manditory if you want to be a top class player. Why is it exciting to see Barry Bonds hit a home-run when you know he wouldn't be on the pitch unless he'd been taking steroids for 10 years, much less breaking records set by his non-drug taking 1950s (?) peers.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Manker I should have phrased that better.

I am pissed that all of the homerun records that were broken are all tainted now. Before all of this came to light I was cheering Barry Bonds in his chase for the all time homerun record but now I could care less. It’s a shame because I wanted to watch him make history and now he’s made history for the wrong reasons.

I think that everyone in baseball knew what was going on and they turned a blind eye because of the money that was rolling in. I’m also pretty sure that this problem isn’t just limited to baseball.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    Manker I should have phrased that better.

I am pissed that all of the homerun records that were broken are all tainted now. Before all of this came to light I was cheering Barry Bonds in his chase for the all time homerun record but now I could care less. It’s a shame because I wanted to watch him make history and now he’s made history for the wrong reasons.
    I know how you feel Hank.... McGwire was my hero, denied it to the end until he went in front of the comission, now it appears he too is guilty, simply because he didn't testify otherwise

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I can imagine how you both feel. I'd feel cheated if anything like that happened in soccer. The amount of money and time I've invested over the years, well ... I'd want compensation!

Edit: Now there's a thought ... .
    Last edited by manker; 03-18-2005 at 09:04 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The answer could be to test them all before events etc. and keep them under observation til after the event is over. then test them all again.
    We are talking big money here. So every precaution should be made. It would also create some work for us lesser mortals.

I'm a lesser mortal?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think they should just have levels like they have different power categories in motor sports.

one no drugs

one drugged up

and one Eddie Izzard "reefer Olympics"

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast