Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    It has been brought to my attention that Peat Moss did not find the thread I started "Is Peat Moss a Racist" funny. It would appear that members of the board staff feel the same way. I have therefore decided to apologise for the misunderstanding. I thought it was obvious that the thread was intended as a joke, it appeared to me that the people who replied to it, for the most part saw the joke and indeed the fact that they voted seemed to support that belief. As did the fact that Peat did not contact me to discuss the matter.

However, whatever I thought is irrelevant, I wish to take this opportunity to say that I unequivocally apologise for the misunderstanding. I had no desire to offend Peat Moss, I have no desire to offend Peat Moss. It is unlikely I will ever have any desire to offend Peat Moss.

It has also been brought to my attention that there have been a lot of complaints about me referring to people as "racist", or "nazi", or "homophobe". I find this surprising. I say that for two main reasons. Firstly these words are always used totally out of context, the most dim witted individual could see that they were not intended as genuine insults but as badinage. I genuinely thought everyone would see that. I find it stunning that they do not. Secondly, for the most part I use these words when dealing with my regular correspondents. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that they are making lots of complaints about this. Indeed if they didn't want to join in with the joke then they would PM me and we would discuss the matter, like adults.

I can therefore only conclude that these "lots of complaints" are coming from people not involved in the discussions who simply wish to complain. Perhaps a lot of people doing it once or twice, or a few people doing it lots of times. In either case I'm sure the mods will take the appropriate action if they feel that I am breaking board rules. I am equally confident that when they do they will explain this to me.

I obviously can't speak for the experience of other people who have joined in the same joke. Perhaps they have been contacted by the mods and told to desist, that is a matter for them.

In any case, if you do not appreciate the humour when I am having a laugh with friends please feel free not to read it. Indeed please feel free to put me on ignore, that's what the function is for. If you want me to have no dealing with you feel free to let me know, either in public or by PM. We can mutually ignore each other and then we can all get on with just having fun with the people we enjoy interacting with.

Once again and to make absolutely sure there is no misunderstanding. I offer my apologies to Peat Moss for any upset caused due to my starting the "Is Peat Moss a Racist" Thread. It was genuinely a simple misunderstanding.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I thought it was funny, given the context.

Meh, anyone who doesn't get it is obviously a racist homophobe nazi gay, and don't like to get called on it. And I honestly don't get what sort of smacktard goes around complaining about stuff that isn't their business, if it isn't the people you've been calling that kind of thing.

I've never been contacted about saying anything like that, btw

TBH, I'd like to know what the team does about 'tards who go around reporting people for no good reason.

I'd like to know who's been making lots of complaints, that sounds mental or made up.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-14-2007 at 07:33 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    fuck thats a lot of riteing

4. Lounge   -   #4
    MODERATION BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Boring...

5. Lounge   -   #5
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    Quote Originally Posted by mievmo View Post
    Boring...
    And what's so interesting about your post then?
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Nicely written apology.

I do find it odd that in a place where entire threads consist of people calling each other cunts, a poll obviously begun in jest should require explanation/retraction but my grasp of Lounge dynamics is tenuous at best.

Besides, according to JP I am a racist as well, so what do I know?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    cunts, the lot of you

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Nicely written apology.

I do find it odd that in a place where entire threads consist of people calling each other cunts, a poll obviously begun in jest should require explanation/retraction but my grasp of Lounge dynamics is tenuous at best.

Besides, according to JP I am a racist as well, so what do I know?
    Elegantly said Clocker.

Likewise, it did not cross my mind for one second that JP was seriously suggesting the Peat was a racist.

Nice apology though.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    I thought it was funny, given the context.

Meh, anyone who doesn't get it is obviously a racist homophobe nazi gay, and don't like to get called on it. And I honestly don't get what sort of smacktard goes around complaining about stuff that isn't their business, if it isn't the people you've been calling that kind of thing.

I've never been contacted about saying anything like that, btw

TBH, I'd like to know what the team does about 'tards who go around reporting people for no good reason.

I'd like to know who's been making lots of complaints, that sounds mental or made up.
    There was no report made. At least not a reported post in the Report section, unless I overlooked it. We caught wind of Peat Moss's frustration from what Herbert posted from their conversation via PM. Peat did not report it. No other member reported it.

As for whether other posts have been reported in the past, I'm not certain. There are a lot of reports and I don't think any mod/admin reads them all.

I was a bit split on the issue - Its the Lounge, ffs. Anyone who has been here for a while knows it can and will get boisterous at times. If you take things to heart that other members have posted, The Lounge is probably a section you should abstain from.

I didn't really see this as any different from any other time when a member has said "enough is enough".

Whatever the aftermath, I hope Peat returns. I don't believe this was personal at all.

Let's bury the hatchet and move on.

Well done JP.

yo

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    It won't bring Guillaume back though will it

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast