Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Life Movie Suggestions

trajillo's Avatar Fitter Happier
    For the latest additions and changes, please check the later posts. Enjoy, and please express your opinions =)

ok ok i'm getting pissed off. i'm reading all these movie ideas for half-life and i'm just getting frustrated. soundtracks include slipknot, actors include ORLANDO BLOOM... it's just all wrong. it's missing what the game is all about.

first off, Half-Life should never be made into a movie. nonetheless, it's always fun to think about it and imagine it.

sooo.. here are my ideas.

THE CAST:

Gordan Freeman: Charlie Sheen.
    Why?: In "The Arival" (http://imdb.com/title/tt0115571/), Charlie Sheen's character Zane Zaminski looks REMARKABLY like Gordan Freeman. Not only that, but he plays the part of a scientist in danger very well. he's on his toes and not to be messed with, but at the same time a very smart man.

Barney Calhoun: Matthew Brodderick
    Why?: Well, the obvious resemblance between the two. as for the character.. well.. i know i'm gonna get a lotta flack here... but in Godzilla.. yes.. Godzilla... the two characters Nick Tetopolous and Barney Calhoun just seemed similar. The chemistry between he and Charlie Sheen would be so odd it.. it'd work PERFECTLY.

Isaac Kleiner: Not so sure... John Lithgow? Probably better if a less famous actor plays the part. having an all-star cast might detract from the story. Perhaps (and i'm sorry for not knowing the name) the actor who played in The Matrix Reloaded. He talked to Neo (Keanu Reaves) about how humans needed machines and machines needed humans just the same. They were alone on a balcony talking.. GOD i wish i knew his name.. he'd be perfect for the part... (anyone out there know who i'm talking about?)

Eli Vance: Danny Glover
    Why?: Amazing actor and his voice and manorisms (please excuse my spelling) are perfect for the part of Eli Vance. Almost as dead on as Charlie Sheen as Gordan Freeman (if not better). All they have to do is saw that pesky extra leg of his off and he's Eli Vance!

Alyx Vance: Rosario Dawson
    Why?: Another amazing actress who has the same features as Alyx Vance. I think she's more than capable of playing a strong young woman thrown into hell. I think she'd have a great, loving father-daughter chemistry with Danny Glover.

Headcrab: Monica Lewinski.
    Why?: Well.. she's good at sucking. (ok low blow- had to throw in at least one joke.)

"G-Man": NOT Christopher Walken. He's too comical. He'd ruin the whole movie. Great actor- scratch that, amazing actor, just not right for this.

The perfect actor for the part of G-Man: Brad Dourif (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000374/)
    Why?: He's excellent at playing very deranged characters. G-Man may not be totally deranged, but when it boils down to it.. the guy is *beep* creepy. He has the look, and he has the physique. Think about when G-Man prenounces his "sssss's". Now go to Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue. Is that not perfect? Come on, be imaginative.

Dr. Wallace Breen: Mark Hammil
    Why?: He's the right age. Mark Hammil is definately and underrated actor. Not only can he play a true hero, but he can also play the most sinister son of a bitch you've ever seen. Great for the part of Dr. Breen- an evil ruler that is actually evil for the good of mankind. Yeah, that is a little confusing..

Dr. Judith Mossman: well... Michelle Forbes (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000405/)
    Why?: Umm... she played Dr. Mossman in the game.. and she's a lot like the character in real life. Forbes is already an established actress.. kinda makes sense.. to me at least.

Adrian Sheppard: Not really necessary, but it would be neat for a short spot in the films. Who to play him?: Joaquin Phoenix.
    Why?: I don't really know why.. he's a fairly good actor (not great, but good), and could play the part of a frightened marine in Black Mesa. Like i said, the part is small, but it would be a nice touch. Joaquin played a marine before in Buffalo Soldiers, and perhaps moving that character.. that strange.. drug addicted character.. into Half-Life would be nifty.

Father Grigori: John Goodman or John-Rhys Davis
    Why?: Well there are 2 ways to go at this role. Both are very large, loud, present men and could play the part interestingly, but they would both go at it very differently. John Goodman would go for a more completely-mad priest approach, while Davis would go for a more caring, just-so-happens-to-be-insane priest.

SEQUENCING:
    1 movie about Black Mesa -> cliffhanger ending -> Freeman leaps into the portal to Xen.

1 movie about Freeman in Xen and Barney Calhoun and Adrian Sheppard's time at Black Mesa -> cliffhanger ending -> Barney Calhoun on top of a mountain as he escapes Black Mesa, he sees portals opening up all over the land below/Freeman speaks with G-Man.

1 Movie about City 17 -> cliffhanger ending -> the Combine portal exploding, Freeman once again held by G-Man.

Last movie about Half-Life 3 (yet to be released).

SCRIPTING:

Scripting is a big issue. One of the most amazing things about Half-Life is that you ARE the main character, which means you don't speak. Obviously you can't do this in a movie (it's been done before, and it sucked). I think that Freeman should do very little talking, and let the supporting cast carry all the dialogue. remember- everyone always says to Freeman, "You're a strong silent type, eh?"

And Alyx in the elevator: "A man of few words.. that's ok."

He'll obviously speak a few times, but he must be far from a "badass," or even a witty smartass. he's gotta be just.. a guy.. thrown into a BAD situation. I read in one thread about having Freeman have small dialogues with the HEV suit, and i thought that was hilarious.

(Freeman falls a long distance, landing hard on a pile of crates.)
    HEV SUIT: Major fractures detected.. seek medical attention..
    FREEMAN: Thanks for the news, *beep* (grunts as he tries to stand up)

but most dialogue would probably go something like this..

BARNEY: Jesus.. i don't think we're gonna make it out of here... any suggestions?
    FREEMAN: Maybe.. (pulls pin on grenade)

or

SECURITY GUARD: you got anything to defend yourself with?

(GUARD looks at FREEMAN, sees he has no weapons.)

SECURITY GUARD: damn.. umm.. here (Hands FREEMAN a crowbar)

(FREEMAN looks at GUARD with disaproval, as if GUARD were an idiot)

GUARD: LOOKOUT!!

(FREEMAN spins quickly to see HEADCRAB ZOMBIE. He panics, and screams as he beats it to death with crowbar. GUARD stands there, aiming his pistol, frightened, and doesn't fire a shot.)

(silence)

(FREEMAN pulls the crowbar out of the ZOMBIE. He looks at the still shocked GUARD and nods with satisfaction.)

or

REBEL: What's your name, stranger?
    FREEMAN: (quietly) Gordan...
    REBEL: Well does Gordan have a last name?
    FREEMAN: (quietly) Gordan.. Freeman...
    REBEL: Gordan Freeman.. kinda catchy. Smart sounding name.. you strike me as someone who doesn't talk much.
    FREEMAN: (shy) i'm sorry... don't speak much. i'm a man of action...

(BARNEY WALKS IN)

BARNEY: Ahhh i see you met our hero here!

(BARNEY takes the focus off of GORDAN)

You see- Gordan doesn't need a lot of lines. As long as the actor is good at "silent-acting" or expressing emotions facially, it'll be fine.

MUSIC:

Music! Duh! Important element in a movie. I think Juno Reactor and Don Davis' work in the Matrix was top notch, and i think it would fit the Half-Life movies perfectly. At times, hard, beat-driven action music, other times very dramatic music. The musical collaboration fits the movies like a glove.

Well these are just some of my ideas. What do you guys think?

"he said he will eat your cigarrettes."
    Got This From Here..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374692/board/nest/13887100

NEW ADDITIONS!!!
    COMPARISON PHOTOS!!!:

- i still think matthew bodrik works

Last edited by trajillo; 03-21-2005 at 05:24 AM.

2. Games   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    ok ok i'm getting pissed off. i'm reading all these movie ideas for half-life and i'm just getting frustrated. soundtracks include slipknot
    and what's wrong with that
    if you're gonna capture a crazy firefight, the background music has to be well....angry ( ) seriously tho, slipknot r0x.

as for the whole Half Life movie idea, don't turn it into a movie. It'll ruin the whole thing i'm sick and tired of hollywood tryin to leech off of other markets (gaming) so unoriginal.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Games   -   #3
    yeah i haven't seen many recent movies that have a plot they made up themseleves... its really disappointing....

4. Games   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Maybe for the soundtrack, they could use the sweet techno beats from the game.

5. Games   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    dont forget teh 'knot

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. Games   -   #6
    no not knot... they suck and if you put that in, the movie will seem like a big mainstream crap hole ... and i dont want to see some scene with gordon with slipknot playing in the background it will be just terrible... i 'd say what he sad.. get juan reactor and don davis from matrix.. cause that'll suit the theme of the movie greatly.. not slipknot with orlando bloom.

7. Games   -   #7
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    I found this 'script' in a magazine and found it quite humurous

68. EXT. CITY 17 - PLAYGROUND - DAY

GORDON enters the rusting playground, as distant gunfire echoes off the walls.

Satisfied he is entirely alone, he picks up a concrete BREEZEBLOCK with his gravity gun, and fires it against a wall.

Spotting apparatus before him, Gordon climbs up a SEE-SAW, and down the other side.

He spend several minutes playing with a child SWING, throwing it through the air. He tries to jump on to the seat with little success, and then piles the breezeblock onto the seat. He successfully shoots it off with his shotgun.

As he goes about this, there is an imperceptible SADNESS in Gordon's blank expression. Perhaps he never had access to such things in his own youth, or maybe he's only just realised how gravity works.

With the swing still rocking gently, and his thoughts clouded, Gordon turns his back on the playground, and cut into:
    CUT TO:

69. EXT. CITY 17 - RUINED STREET - CONTINUOUS

Gordon skips down the street, occasionally pirouetting in the air. He stops suddenly, and starts attacking a wall with his crowbar.

Is he angry? Insane? It's impossible to tell.

A pair of COMBINE TROOPS round a corner and open a volley of fire.

COMBINE TROOP
    There he is!

GORDON fells both troops with his shotgun. He fires a couple more shots into their prone bodies just to be sure. Just to be doubly sure, he attacks their corpses with his crowbar.

And then throws a cardboard box at them.

And then tries shooting them across the street with his GRAVITY GUN.

Finally satisfied his enemies are dead, GORDON hops gaily down the street, and around the corner, where he spots a squad of RESISTANCE SOLDIERS under sniper fire from a nearby building.

RESISTANCE SOLDIER
    Is it...? It is - Gordon Freeman. Finally - some luck. We're under fire from that nearby building, Freeman. You scout ahead and take out the sniper while we cover you. Got that?

GORDON starts jumping up and down, wordlessly. He smashes a shop window with his crowbar, and opens fire on a cardboard box.

RESISTANCE SOLDIER
    (continued)
    Good. We'll take it from here!

The RESISTANCE SOLDIERS open fire on the sniper

GORDON picks up another cardboard box, and throws it at one of the Resistance Soldiers. It rebounds off the Soldier's head. The Soldier is unmoved by Gordon's actions.

RESISTANCE SOLDIER
    (continued)
    You'd better get going, Freeman.

GORDON fires his gravity gun at the shell of a burned-out car. It bounces across the ruined street.

Gordan starts attacking a wall with his crowbar. He picks up a wooden palatte, and throws it at the RESISTANCE SOLDIERS. Unworried by his behaviour, they bravely firing on the sniper's position.

GORDON jumps up and down in the middle of the street. He is shot repeatedly by the sniper. Gravely wounded, he retires to cover. Bleeding profusely, he shoots apart a cardboard box, revealing a medical kit. Seconds later, the bleeding has stopped and GORDON looks as healthy as ever.

The RESISTANCE SOLDIERS continue firing on the sniper.

GORDON opens fire on RESISTANCE SOLDIERS. His bullets don't have any effect on them.

Undeterred, GORDON piles an oil barrel on top of a wooden crate, and tries in vain to jump on top of it.
    Last edited by mike45450; 03-20-2005 at 04:45 PM.

8. Games   -   #8
    new addition theres photos !!!

9. Games   -   #9
    bump

10. Games   -   #10
    bump 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast