Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Sorry for those outside the US for yet another USA thread.

The Terri Schiavo question and the federal role.

Firstly the debate is not about the rights or wrongs of removing the feeding tube. It is about and connected to the views of state rights.
    A lot has been said about the roe v wade case and complaints about state rights being "overruled" and that the decision should be left to the "individual state". Yet it seems to me that proponents of this theory are now the ones wishing the feds to step in.

Please try to stay away from the circumstances of Mrs. Schiavo and the difference between this and abortion..I only raise it because of the "taking life" part and .and concentrate on state rights iv's fed.

Should the right to "pull the tube" be a state issue only

just opinion needed...not an essay on the law as it stands

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Yes.

Furthermore (off-topic) this issue all about Republican face time. I don't normally rag on Republicans but feeding tubes are pulled all the time.

If the Republicans are going to jump on this, they better be ready to go all the way. That means ALL folks on feeding tubes shouldn't have the plug pulled.

I'm amazed that they bring up "right to life" when a machine has to keep you going.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    IMO, it should be niether's decision
    it should be up to the individuals (in this case the Schiavos)
    unfortunately, Terri cannot express her wishes
    that failing, it should come down to her next of kin
    i mean, after all, who are the expenses going to fall on?
    not that i am trying to put a price on a life, dont take it that way
    but she is not living any kind of life, not that i can see anyway
    if it were me in that condition, i would be praying for them to pull the plug

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Yes.

Furthermore (off-topic) this issue all about Republican face time. I don't normally rag on Republicans but feeding tubes are pulled all the time.

If the Republicans are going to jump on this, they better be ready to go all the way. That means ALL folks on feeding tubes shouldn't have the plug pulled.

I'm amazed that they bring up "right to life" when a machine has to keep you going.
    I agree with you on this. No selectivity should be allowed. But The machine is not keeping her alive. She can breathe on her own, is on no medication, with the exception of the feeding tube, she is as normal as any severly brain damaged individuals.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FKDUP74
    IMO, it should be niether's decision
    it should be up to the individuals (in this case the Schiavos)
    unfortunately, Terri cannot express her wishes
    that failing, it should come down to her next of kin
    i mean, after all, who are the expenses going to fall on?
    not that i am trying to put a price on a life, dont take it that way
    but she is not living any kind of life, not that i can see anyway
    if it were me in that condition, i would be praying for them to pull the plug
    I see your point but the state law IS the husband or whom ever the dying person previously designates.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Although feeding tubes ARE pulled, it is usually NOT the state's decision to do it. There is a general agreement of all parties involved, or there is a living will that speaks for the ppl which are no longer able to speak for themselves.

The laws, however, governing such an act, should remain solely in the hands of the state in which one resides.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    My feelings on this are as follows:

If Terry was completely brain-dead ( on total life support) I woud probably back her husband. This is not the case. I have seen pictures of her smiling and so forth, and just tonight I have seen pictures of her looking sad and weak. Her husband has no proof that she chooses not to live this way. If she had a will, I would say go by the will, again, no will to fall on. Her husband has chosen to go on with his life, and she still has her parents there to care for her. I say let him divorce, and let the parents be responsible.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I see your point but the state law IS the husband or whom ever the dying person previously designates.
    so the state is at least half-right in the matter,
    but what of an un-wed individual that enters a vegetative state before designating?

-edit- good point RPerry
    Last edited by FKDUP74; 03-21-2005 at 12:59 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SideSwiped
    Although feeding tubes ARE pulled, it is usually NOT the state's decision to do it..
    It's not been said that the sate makes the decision..... what we are talking about is the state's right to choose if it should be legal in that state or should it be "fed" law.
    That's what the whole abortion on demand arguement was about.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Even her Dr. that knows her quite well has said, "This is what she would have wanted." No necessarily my opinion, just the facts. Either way, the House is going to vote on the after midnight tonight.

yo

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast