Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: US School shooting

Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Bit like in the UK, then. Seems to work okay over here.

Maybe take it a step further tighten up the gun laws, ban handguns altogether and make it extremely difficult for your common or garden burglar to get a gun of any description - oh, and have a police armed response unit, you know, just in case.

Great post, Hank
    no.when you have mexico right next door.it will be useless to ban guns.All it will do is give bad people more ways to get money.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    its too late now cos americans have been paranoid too long

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    its too late now cos americans have been paranoid too long
    rightly so,i say.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by InDaPocket
    What does the NRA have to do with this? He stole his grandfathers guns (the guns were police issued as he was a police officer) killed his grandfather, his grandfather's girlfriend, then went to kill the children.

If the weapons came from some retail establishment I would understand your point more. But seeing as these were police weapons...., I don't think the NRA has much to do with the police department weapons. Unless you think police should not be allowed to carry firearms?
    Originally Posted by vidcc
    I still find it amazing that groups such as the NRA and people that agree with them deny any connection between incidents like this and the absolute freely available firearms.
    Are you saying that All the other "incidents like this" were police guns?

As to my views on gun ownership, i believe that apart from hunting, farming etc. the only guns should be for law enforcement and military... but being realistic that would never happen so therefore the best i can hope for is tighter controls, background checks (including at shows) and tighter enforcement of those laws.
    The first post mentioned A.Q. and we hear a lot about custom inspections to prevent them bringing munitions into the country...well they don't have to because they can still legally buy this stuff without background checks....

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez
    no.when you have mexico right next door.it will be useless to ban guns.All it will do is give bad people more ways to get money.
    That's a good point, mate. I suppose us being an island makes it that little bit more difficult to import guns.

However, drugs seem to get in okay (thankfully) and illegal firearms are still a problem here but with them being banned in general terms it means that I have never actually seen a handgun and only a small number of rifles.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Tighten up your borders, dole out prison sentances for possession of illegal firearms. Do whatever it takes.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Bit like in the UK, then. Seems to work okay over here.

Maybe take it a step further tighten up the gun laws, ban handguns altogether and make it extremely difficult for your common or garden burglar to get a gun of any description - oh, and have a police armed response unit, you know, just in case.

Great post, Hank
    Great idea! I agree, let's ban the guns!

But hold on a second, how many guns are out there now? Are we gonna round up all the firearms gestapo style? Leave it up to honor system to destroy the firearms?

If guns are banned, does anyone really think a criminal cares if it is illegal to have a gun?

Next question, if guns are banned here, and they are all gather up and disposed of, do you really think there will be no one in Canada or Mexico who would be interested if a criminal offered them a little extra to get them a gun?

7. Lounge   -   #27

But hold on a second, how many guns are out there now? Are we gonna round up all the firearms gestapo style? Leave it up to honor system to destroy the firearms?

If guns are banned, does anyone really think a criminal cares if it is illegal to have a gun?

Next question, if guns are banned here, and they are all gather up and disposed of, do you really think there will be no one in Canada or Mexico who would be interested if a criminal offered them a little extra to get them a gun?
    It's a vicious circle isn't it

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    @indapocket

I should have put this in my reply..

you mention that it was a police gun..... so why are you not asking how come a "responsible owner" managed to have this event happen. Obviously the system has a flaw

9. Lounge   -   #29
    manker's Avatar effendi

I suppose you're right. It would be extremely difficult for your country to acheive this.

You mention an honour system but that's exactly what we did when handguns were banned. We declared a deadline and then sometime after this, declared an amnesty - it seemed to work okay.

In the US, though, I know it would be a surefire vote, nay, election loser because it's part of the constitution.

I'm in my mid-twenties and for much of my adult life, I lived in a city - yet have never seen a gun. That must strike anyone as desirable (apart from gun-enthusiasts, who strike me as odd, anyway).

It's just a pity that it seems such an unobtainable goal.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i'm gonna sit with manker on this one

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast