“There were rumours about this kind of thing happening when I was at mortuary school in 1970,” detective Robert Turner told a press conference outside Lake Jackson police station in Texas, “but this is the first time I’ve ever come across anyone actually doing it. Taking alcohol in an enema has just the same intoxicating effect as swallowing it, and Mrs Warner poured at least two bottles of sherry straight into her husband’s bowel. And we’re not talking about little bottles here either, these were 1.5 litre bottles of Thunderbird sherry, twice as strong as wine. It’s no wonder he died.”
After being charged with negligent homicide and released on $30,000 bail, Tammy Jean Warner defended her actions. “My husband Michael was an alcoholic, and he also had problems with his throat. Some days he just couldn’t swallow the alcohol, so he started taking wine enemas, and he always asked me to help him with the funnel. Most days he’d just take one bottle, but yesterday he asked me to pour a second one in, and a little whiskey. And vodka, and some champagne perry too. And a tot of rum and some cider. So I did. He seemed okay when I went to bed, but this morning when I woke up, he was dead.”
Police later revealed that Michael Warner’s blood alcohol level at the time of his death was 0.47%, six times the legal intoxication limit. If found guilty, his wife faces a maximum of two years in prison.
Houston Chronicle, 2/2/05.