Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ntl:home Users (uk)

Shame my part of Manchester aint got NTL, 1mb sounds cool...though I read BT are experimenting with a 1mb connection for later this year...and I'm amazed anyone can d/l over 1Gb in a day...aren't you a bit selective on what you d/l??

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    BROCKSTER's Avatar Poster
    i wonder wot blueyonders limit is im sure ive broken it

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ROEZER@6 April 2003 - 15:02
    btw bt broadband is far better than bt openworld as i get no shit from them and my average dl rate is 70k on a 1/2 meg account-w00t

Your max dl rate is 64k not 70k, sry just had to point that out. and to have an average of that is neigh on impossible.

And yea Broadband is better than openworld if you dont mind the cap and the extra shit they throw in. (ooh reaks of sarcasm)

Openworld is the NO-Frills package, no webspace, no email (tho i think u get one im not sure i aint read up on it yet)

Broadband: Its basically is the same service but with added extras, the tech staff are the same etc + a cap.

I'm amazed anyone can d/l over 1Gb in a day...aren't you a bit selective on what you d/l
    You obviously dont dl alot do you, 1 gig is nothing in todays world, almost 2 cd's worth of data, you can dl 1 gig in about 3-4 hours on the half meg services (512) . If you want a cap of 1 gig stick to 128k services its cheaper.

Also online gamming takes up alot of the cap aswell, its the 2nd biggest user of bandwidth next to p2p, so whats next, targetting heavy online game users? i think sony will have things to say about that and other companys that do online only games.

Xan

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    How much is 1GB?

Ive heard it equal to 2 films a day.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    BROCKSTER's Avatar Poster
    nah its 1 and a really small bit of another movie depending on the quality

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bronco@6 April 2003 - 20:10
    How much is 1GB?

Ive heard it equal to 2 films a day.
    explain?

cdrs are 700 megs big, without over burning or getting a 99 min disc.

1 gig is 1024 megs, => 1400megs for 2 films - 1.4 gigs

On the 512k (half meg services) you can dl 3- 5 gigs in any 24 hour period.

from the dont pay ntl site *note they dont have 512 so my guess for ammount of gigs for 512 is that, a guess

As an NTL Broadband customer, here is what you now get

Service Tier Download Limit
    Per Day Time Allowed Online
    Using the service at it's advertised rate (Approx) Previous Data allowance
    When the service was "Unlimited" Cost Per month
    128kbps 1GB 24 hours per day Approx 1GB £14.99
    600kbps 1GB 5 hours per day Approx 5-6GB £24.99
    1024kbps 1GB 2 1/2 hours per day Approx 8-10GB £34.99

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    This says it all really

NTL had called their 1Mbps (1024kbps) service at it's launch, the "Ferrari" of the internet

You don't buy a Ferrari just to nip down to the shops in it.
    If you have paid "extra" for 1Mbps it's because 600kbps is not good enough and you certainly don't want 128kbps performance!

A 1Mbps connection (that NTL charges £35 a month for) is capable of downloading approx 8-10GB a day, By restricting it to 1GB they are effectively making it so that customers can only use their connection for less than 3 hours a day or at less than 128kbps (This is lower than a lot of TV streams that run at 300kbps or 500 kbps)
    It matches a lot of internet radio stations that run at 128kbps or 1GB a day.
    So NTL are expecting customers to pay broadband prices for a "midband" or "narrowband" service

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for using amore than 1GB a day like video streaming and software updates.
    There are pay services that use high bandwidth connections to watch movies (500-700kbps) and sports events, but under these new NTL terms customers will have to go and do something else other than use their internet connection.

And if it's aimed at a "family" well a lot of "families" have more than one PC, so even more bandwidth is needed, hence why the hell they are on broadband!

And who is to know where this will end?

500MB cap??
    Then I might as well be on dial up!

In Japan and Sweden you can get 10-12Mbps broadband for £10-£27pm!
    By NTL's rational you would only be able to use it for a few minutes a day before they cut you off!!!

Telewest, the UK's other main cable operator has no such user limits and is even thinking about starting a 2Mbps service, so 1GB in about 1 1/2 hours
    Telewest's press centre have told me that they have no download restrictions and no plans to introduce any!

I might as well get ISDN!! or go back to 56kbps

Xanex

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    I DID HAVE A LETTER SENT WITH A rundown of the capping service not a warning mind, had no probs of them yet, but capping is stupid espescially for those on 1 mb broadband, im on 600k, yes price has or is going up from may 1st for 128k from £14.99 to £17.99 month with increase to 150mb, big deal i wonder if thwere is a rise coming across the range soon. i hear TELEWEST is rolling out 2 mb broadband soon so might change over them if capping is a prob, NTL users the only way is to voice your disgust at the capping a friend who works tells me the more complaints the more they consider dropping it, i mean i took on broadband as unlimited so it should mean that they said it equates to 2 film d/loads a day or 50,000 pictures

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by Xanex@6 April 2003 - 20:07
    Also online gamming takes up alot of the cap aswell, its the 2nd biggest user of bandwidth next to p2p, so whats next, targetting heavy online game users?
    Yeah, heavy online gamer I am. That didnt occur to me before, thanks for pointing that out Xanex

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    There are so many reasons for using ur bandwidth to the limit. Here are but a few....

Online Gamming (constitutes more than 1/3 of the internet traffic)
    Tv and movie streams (services that have been paid for on gold services eg wmp have the option to subscribe to these things)
    Internet Radio (leave it on all the time and ur going to reach 1 gig sooner or later)
    Remote access to University or college network to do work etc
    More than one pc in the house hold, mini networks

shall i go on im sure i can find some more, these just popped into my head just now

Xanex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast