Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Up Problems

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    If a green light ocmes on just by turning on the power supply's power (and not teh computer) then atleast that is hooked up wrong, and probably other sstuff as well.
    D'oh

Never happened to me. I gotta' start botching up more.

I did have a 'puter, hooked up right and all, that revved up the fans and blinked with the d-led every time you plugged it in (got an external switch) before shutting down until I pushed the power switch, some old msi mobo i think it was.

Erm, to my knowledge it just means that the mobo is getting power btw.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-01-2005 at 10:41 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    i have no idea what to do here.. i'm pretty sure ive set up the front panel connectors correctly

I dunno how i could of set up the power wrong...either but if i turn on the ps and the green light comes on then... that is bad? i thought it ment that there was power running to the motherboard then and that is good?
    Last edited by JMK; 04-01-2005 at 10:59 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Unplug just about everything from your mobo, including graphics card, keyboard.

Only things left should be the CPU, memory, power connector, the front "power on" connector and the internal speaker (or the jumper for the mobo buzzer if fitted).

Now connect the main power, switch on (which should give you that green light) then press the "on" button. After a few seconds you should get a series of beeps from the internal speaker. If that doesn't happen you've either connected things wrongly even at this basic level, otherwise you probably have a faulty motherboard.

Assuming you get the beeps, you can begin reconnecting things, starting with the graphics card (and connect the monitor), then the keyboard. At this point the beeps should stop, and you should be able to get into the bios setup.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    I came across a problem similar to this , the pc would start then shut down after a second. Later, figured out that two of the pins were bent on the processor. So you may wanna check your processor (cpu) or make sure your heatsink is hooked correctly. goodluck

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    yay!!!! i got it to work.. forgot to install the risers so it was shorting out thank you everyone for you help

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    you're lucky anything survived

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK
    yay!!!! i got it to work.. forgot to install the risers so it was shorting out thank you everyone for you help
    Ouch! I've seen someone start a fire like that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    hmm.. guess i made a big booboo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Ouch! I've seen someone start a fire like that.

When i did that my first time building a comp it fried the sound and some other stuff. but the store i boguht it from was nice and they gave me a free new motherboard.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK
    WTF are "risers"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast