Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCI-Express Mobo

A friend of mine is looking to update his pc, right now he's just gonna go for a new mobo. His current specs are as follows:

Some Dell Mobo
    1.8Ghz P4
    256mb Ram (this other 512mb went fucko a few days ago)
    9200 Ati

He's looking to spend about 200 Canadian, and is looking for a good mobo that:

Has 4 Ram Slots
    PCI-Express, AGP and Standard PCI
    Will support his 1.8Ghz P4 and will allow for upgrades (kinda up to about 3.2Ghz)

He wants to be able to use his 9200 for a bit on the new mobo then he's gonna switch over to a X600XT (either that or a 9800 Pro which one is better in terms of gaming?)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Peerzy; 04-09-2005 at 07:48 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Have you looked on tigerdirect.ca? or ncix.com/ca not sure what it is lol

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    His options are severely limited by the requirement for both PCI-e AND agp.
    I have seen such a board, but never even considered it a viable option.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    woah woah woah, do AGP and PCI-Express on one board exist?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    woah woah woah, do AGP and PCI-Express on one board exist?
    I am the freind. Yeah they do exist, all though they all seem to either have like 2 PCI slots, or only two Ram slots, or someother reason why they will not work for me. Does not make a whole lot of sense to me, to just abandon AGP, I mean when a PCI express card fails it will be nice to be able to go back to the old agp card. Does that no make sense?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by toddiscool
    I am the freind. Yeah they do exist, all though they all seem to either have like 2 PCI slots, or only two Ram slots, or someother reason why they will not work for me. Does not make a whole lot of sense to me, to just abandon AGP, I mean when a PCI express card fails it will be nice to be able to go back to the old agp card. Does that no make sense?
    Both ATI and Nvidia have already put more than enough money into PCI-E and its supposedly cheaper to produce and has a far higher bandwith limit. So basically it would be like people dropping AGP graphics card's and going back to PCI Standard, even though PCI Standard is used for modems, audio cards and other things because of the small ammounts of data that can be pushed through it each second it's alot slower.

Lets all drop the computer, typewriter is much better

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    AFAIK only the Via PT880 Pro chipset supports both AGP and PCI-E. That's also an LGA-775 chipset, so I'm not sure if it would support existing P4 sockets, or at least whether anyone would bother to make a board which does.

So far I haven't been able to find a single board which supports both, so if you've found one with 2 standard PCI slots you've done well. However, I suspect you've simply found a full PCI Express board, the long slot being the PCI-E x16 graphics slot, not an AGP slot.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by kazaa2002
    It isn't in production yet (or at any rate hasn't been released). Note that the "AGI Express" interface is only PCI-E x4, not x16, so it doesn't run any faster than AGPx8. This is hardly surprising since the Intel 915 chipset doesn't really support AGP, so probably the only way they can do it is by limiting the PCI-E side. Also there are only 2 ram slots and 2 PCI slots on the ones shown.

However, the lower pics on this page are the VIA PT880PRO based boards, which should give full speed PCI-E. They appear to show 4 pci slots and possibly (though it isn't clear) 4 ram slots.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...136-150&DEPA=0

That is one, I tink anyways about 10 minutes of looking at this stuff I start to go blind. But anyways, it does seem as though you guys are right. I cant find any practical solutions, and I guess that it is not the ned of thw world. Just means that I have to buy my MOBO and Vid card at the same time, which does suck because new Processor, and alot more ram was something that I was more concerned about.

I hate computers.

thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast