Thread: XFire needs you.

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Heres the story: Yahoo are accusing xfire of stealing yahoo copywrited coding. They're basing this on the fact that someone who worked on yahoo messenger now works on xfire. Yahoo reckon that this person ripped off some of the code that detects what games users are playing from yahoo messenger. Xfire deny this and have offered to let yahoo review the code and "the offer of legal arbitration, whereby Xfire will accept any decision the arbitrator makes. " which i think means they sit down in a room and come to a compromise. Yahoo failed to respond to both offers.

The conspiracy theory: Yahoo started moves on buying rival allseeing eye from UDPsoft before xfire had any momentum to show it was a serious contender. (The way you pay for allseeing eye is a one off payment rather than a subscription, this was probably kept a condition during the transaction between yahoo and UDPsoft as nothings changed on my subscription.)
    By the time the deal was finished, XFire had one million users. Now, who is gonna pay for a program when you can get it for free? So now yahoo have wasted loads of money on a program that will bring in no revenue. The only way they can make a profit is by shutting xfire down, forcing people use allseeing eye, which is pretty crap unless you pay for it.

Keep freeware alive

for a more easy to understand version check their website

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?...ody=xf_lawsuit

2. Games   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    this is so old news i cant even believe it.......but hey at least it helps xfire!

3. Games   -   #3
    so old? the first anyone knew was at the end of february

4. Games   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    and on FST, more than a week is old

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Games   -   #5
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    January 28, 2005
    Yahoo Inc. filed a lawsuit against Xfire claiming patent infringement over US Patent No. 6,699,125. The first we heard of Yahoo’s patent infringement claims was a call made the night before Yahoo filed its lawsuit. Yahoo never attempted to contact us beforehand nor did it send a cease & desist letter.

the hell are u talking about?

6. Games   -   #6
    thanks monkeee, was just about to post this. (copy and paste my ass wasted 2 min of life)

7. Games   -   #7
    i'm sure i read february something. anyway its still going on

8. Games   -   #8
    As for Xfire, i'll be giving that a try, from what I hear it's a lot better than steam. So if Yahoo wins the case, does that mean Xfire gets shut down since it's a non-profit thing?
    Last edited by RPerry; 04-06-2005 at 09:26 PM.