Thread: Wierd Network Problem

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Im having an odd problem here, for some reason i cant connect to the internet directly or it says limited or no activity, but when i connect through my router it works with no problems, I have never encountered this before and am wondering if anybody knows whats up, this happened right after updating the bios. :crying:
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Is it an on-board NIC? The MAC address of it may have changed when the BIOS was flashed.
    Some ISPs require that MAC addresses be registered with them to work.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Maybe you should get a wierdless network.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think your modem is limited to 10 mbps connection. That is why Windows warns of "limited or no connectivity".

You can disable the message. Just remove the checkmark [ ] Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity in the Local Area Connection - Properties.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I think your modem is limited to 10 mbps connection. That is why Windows warns of "limited or no connectivity".

You can disable the message. Just remove the checkmark [ ] Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity in the Local Area Connection - Properties.
    But it wont let me access the internet, im not familiar with networkin, so im sorta lost here. I tried 4 diffrent bios but no luck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problem can't be directly related to the bios, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect even through your router.

Chewie's idea is much more likely. I must admit I've never seen it do that, but it is certainly possibly.

Who is your ISP? Someone may be able to tell you if you need to register your MAC address.

Alternatively, there is sometimes a minimum wait time between disconnecting one piece of equipment and connecting another, I've definitely heard of that before now.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If I change from my comp being connected to the router to just directly connecting the the modem i have to reset the modem a couple times, restart teh computer, until i finally get lucky and it registers an ip adress.
    Try that i guess.

What's wrong with the router anyway? Why not jsut keep using it that way?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    If I change from my comp being connected to the router to just directly connecting the the modem i have to reset the modem a couple times, restart teh computer, until i finally get lucky and it registers an ip adress.
    Try that i guess.

What's wrong with the router anyway? Why not jsut keep using it that way?
    Why router sucks for forwarding ports so emule and shit dosnt work correctly.