Thread: Programme to cut sections from .avi files

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a programme that will let me cut sections out of .avi files. Say I've downloaded a video clip, and it's DivX compessed into an .avi file, and part of the file, say, the first ten seconds, I don't want, is there a programme that will let me cut them out?

I've got Ulead VideoStudio, and with that I can do what I want - cut out frames down to the exact frame, but I need to uncompress the file when I save it, so I end up with a 20 gig file at the end maybe, from only a 30 minute avi file.

Really, I want a really simple programme that will just let me cut out frames. Any idea, anyone? Thanks a lot,

-Tim

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    virtual dub is a good one for this - it will save to different formats including uncompressed audio video interleave (avi)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    trajillo's Avatar Fitter Happier
    VLC does the job..just make 2 bookmarks and then extract em

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Quote Originally Posted by shanu
    virtual dub is a good one for this - it will save to different formats including uncompressed audio video interleave (avi)
    actually you don't need to recompress with Virtualdub

find the start of what you want to clip and press home, then find the end of the clip and press end, then press delete. Select direct stream copy from the video menu and save
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    [QUOTE=BigTim]
    but I need to uncompress the file when I save it, so I end up with a 20 gig file at the end maybe, from only a 30 minute avi file.

Hi DarthInsinuate,
    i thought Big Tim wanted to uncompress the file as well as trim.
    if you select direct stream copy with virtual dub it does not uncompress the file but saves it as original compression - version i use works like this anyway, 1.5.4.0
    for mine to save as uncompressed, i have to select full processing mode, then select uncompressed, in the video compression menu

cheers,
    s

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ah yeah, thanks a lot guys, Virtual Dub is exactly what I want. When I said " need to uncompress the file when I save it" I meant that at the moment I have to do that in Video Studio, but I don't want to do it.

VirtualDub is just the ticket. Thanks a lot guys. As always, you've managed to perfectly answer my question.